1957 group 32n battery

Ward 57

Ward 57

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I need to replace my battery which is a BCI 29NF. Those are not hard to find and do fit the battery box with a filler. My Battery box is designed for the BCI 32N but the only source I can find is Hills at about $300. Has anybody found a different source at a non-concours price?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

What’s your reasoning to wanting to upgrade to group 32??
Group 29 was std equipment and do a fine job.
Heck, we took the 57 out to dinner the other day and realized after better than 2 hrs in the restaurant that I had forgotten the headlights on
The old girl started right up
And that battery is 4 years old.
Just my opinion:)
Good luck

What’s your reasoning to wanting to upgrade to group 32??
Group 29 was std equipment and do a fine job.
Heck, we took the 57 out to dinner the other day and realized after better than 2 hrs in the restaurant that I had forgotten the headlights on
The old girl started right up
And that battery is 4 years old.
Just my opinion:)
Good luck
My current Group 29 is at least 8yrs old and time to go. My car was built with the optional Group 32. The battery box is built for it so why not buy a bigger capacity battery that fits as intended?

The Group 32 battery is not even listed in most battery replacement catalogs. They are almost impossible to find. The Power Punch battery that is being sold by some of the Thunderbird suppliers is an odd duck. It is actually two small 6 volt batteries hooked in series. unless you are wanting to show your car in a judged show, I would not purchase that battery. It is NOT a higher capacity, just simply a larger case. You can simply purchase the tray and battery hold down for the group 29NF and put that battery in your car. The tray is a simple bolt in operation.

Yup, I just ordered a group 29 batt from NAPA only a 6 mo warranty but my last one lasted close to 8yrs. not a bad run. I can put up with a wood shim to take up the room the 32 would take up. It's a driver not a show car so the slightly miss fit batt is not an issue. $160 with core charge & tax. Worth it. $35 back for the core charge.

Jeeeze! The NAPA group 29 sitting under the hood of my 57 was less than $100 after core return a little less than 4 years ago
Can’t wait for the oil man to show up this fall to fill the oil barrel

Jeeeze! The NAPA group 29 sitting under the hood of my 57 was less than $100 after core return a little less than 4 years ago
Can’t wait for the oil man to show up this fall to fill the oil barrel
I ordered a group 29 from NAPA. They are about $130 now plus core. They fit well enough and I just put in a filler piece of wood so it won't slide back & forth in the battery tray.

Hmmm
The battery tray on my 57 has 2 slots in the firewall side to accept the tie down rods. One is shorter to accommodate the group 29 and one longer to accommodate the group 32. I had purchased new tie down rods and a new top retainer ring that is size specific to the group 29 battery (I believe from NPD). No shimming necessary, fits like a glove and looks very good.
Pretty inexpensive as I remember.

I need to replace my battery which is a BCI 29NF. Those are not hard to find and do fit the battery box with a filler. My Battery box is designed for the BCI 32N but the only source I can find is Hills at about $300. Has anybody found a different source at a non-concours price?
Try Tractor Supply. It really is a tractor battery. But, any Group 39F will work.

My 56’s battery tray has slots for both sized batteries and was originally fitted with a 29NF. My local NAPA said if I wanted a 32N my best bet would be to go somewhere that sells tractors or farm equipment. Lucky I was looking for another 29NF.

Hmmm
The battery tray on my 57 has 2 slots in the firewall side to accept the tie down rods. One is shorter to accommodate the group 29 and one longer to accommodate the group 32. I had purchased new tie down rods and a new top retainer ring that is size specific to the group 29 battery (I believe from NPD). No shimming necessary, fits like a glove and looks very good.
Pretty inexpensive as I remember.
The Hight is the same overall. The 29 is just a 1 & 1/4 inch shorter than the 32 but I have no extra loads so the capacity should be just fine as the last one lasted almost 8yrs it works with just the shim at the base to take up the slack.

Back