1957 fender script badge

valhalla 4771

valhalla 4771

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have discovered the reproduction Thunderbird script fender badges which I purchased are not exactly like what came off during restoration. The reproduction looks great and is the correct size. However it has one extra post that goes through the fender, a total of 5 rather than the 4 that came off. What came off has a stamped number on the back: BAN16098t, and has only 4 posts. The 4 posts on the original line up with 4 of the 5 posts on the reproduction. Both sides. Is there a reason why there is a 5th post on the reproduction? And any reason I can't remove the 5th post to match the original? I could avoid having to drill a hole in my recently repainted car.

I have discovered the reproduction Thunderbird script fender badges which I purchased are not exactly like what came off during restoration. The reproduction looks great and is the correct size. However it has one extra post that goes through the fender, a total of 5 rather than the 4 that came off. What came off has a stamped number on the back: BAN16098t, and has only 4 posts. The 4 posts on the original line up with 4 of the 5 posts on the reproduction. Both sides. Is there a reason why there is a 5th post on the reproduction? And any reason I can't remove the 5th post to match the original? I could avoid having to drill a hole in my recently repainted car.
Well, the simple thing would be to clip off the extra stud if the rest fit. had to do something similar with the hash tags. When I put them back on after repainting 35+ years ago I put the driver's side upside down. Recently noticed and pulled it off and reversed. There is one nut behind the fender liner and was tough to get off. Putting it back on almost impossible. Left it off and it fits tight.

@valhalla 4771 use the 4 digit model year in your subject on future posts. Since we are an all Thunderbird site, there is no need to include your model in the subject. Updated.

model-year-TBF.jpg

Last edited:
Well, the simple thing would be to clip off the extra stud if the rest fit. had to do something similar with the hash tags. When I put them back on after repainting 35+ years ago I put the driver's side upside down. Recently noticed and pulled it off and reversed. There is one nut behind the fender liner and was tough to get off. Putting it back on almost impossible. Left it off and it fits tight.
FoMoCo referred to these parts as ornaments part number 16228-A right side and 16229-A left side. Thunderbird owners sometimes refer to them as louvers or hash marks. They are not interchangeable from left to right fenders, but they can be installed upside down on each fender because of the casting and alignment of the mount studs. Think of these ornaments as being louvers that exit toward the rear of the car.

Photo #1 is from an original FoMoCo Trim and Sealer manual page 7-3556 showing the correct position for installation on the right front fender, the right side is the only drawing in the trim and sealer manual.

Ornaments-front-fender-Photo1.jpg

Photo #2 ornament part number 16228 right side correctly installed on a right front fender.

Ornaments-front-fender-photo-2.jpg

Photo #3 ornament part number 16229 left side correctly installed on a left front fender.

Ornaments-front-fender-photo-3.jpg

Photo #4 ornament part number 16228 being held below a correctly installed right side, it flipped end for end which is very easy to do, if bolted in place it would be incorrectly installed.

Ornaments-front-fender-Photo4.jpg

Another way to determine proper installation is the top of the louvers have a straight connecting casting between the louvers.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is all true. Just eliminating the extra tab should solve the problem. There are some weird preproduction parts out there that leave you scratching your head.

The mechanism for my 1956 fender vents were missing. My service provider found the rod and lever and any other relevant parts, but doesn’t quite see how it goes together and attaches. Is there a schematic drawing or exploded view available of those parts that is shareable?

Thanks in advance

I used the tape that the manufacturers use these days to apply logos, etc. No damage to the paint and no need to drill holes. Can be easily removed if necessary. Readily available at most auto parts stores or online.

Kari - This should help - click on the picture and when it comes up click on it again for a bigger picture. In the future, you should start on a new posting rather that piggy backing on a different one.
Scan0004.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see how you can tape on the Thunderbird script securely without the tape showing.

I don't see how you can tape on the Thunderbird script securely without the tape showing.
Applied the tape and cut way the excess with an exacto knife. It was a bit of a job but it worked. Been on the car for about 10 years and no sign of it loosening up.

Thanks, NTouch. I have considered removing the script and having the holes filled when my 55 goes in for repaint. I/future owner would have the option of using tape to reinstall them.

Just realized the possibility of someone steeling anything that's taped on.
Possible, but they could also damage it by pulling on it. I have had mine since 1985 and have driven it to all sorts if events and have never had anyone do anything to the car.

Back