1957 door window trim removal

C

cscolastico

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I would like to recondition (cut,polish,buff) my stainless door window trim. It has some deep scratches and I think the best way is to remove the trim so I can work on it with my bench buffer and sander. Do I have to completely remove the window to do this? If so, can some one point me to a procedure as the shop manual is not as detailed for an amateur like me. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like to recondition (cut,polish,buff) my stainless door window trim. It has some deep scratches and I think the best way is to remove the trim so I can work on it with my bench buffer and sander. Do I have to completely remove the window to do this? If so, can some one point me to a procedure as the shop manual is not as detailed for an amateur like me. Thanks
Do you have a shop manual or a trim and sealer manual? They should give you the information you need. The horizontal doorm inner window trim is removed by removing the door lock button, it unscrews. the garnish rail is then removed by the screw that you see going through it I am not close to my car right now. There is a small piece of chromed pot metal trim that is screwed to the top of the door. remove it, it goes over the horizontal window trim. . I believe there is one screw a couple of inches frm the aft end of the garnish trim piece, one at the forward end. They are pretty obvious..This for the inner trim that is horizontal along the top of the door.
If you are talking about the trim over the top of the glass, yes you should remove it. from the glass with the window removed to buff it out. mark where everything goes. take pictures. this will require taking off the garnish trim. there is an adjuster at the top of the aft end of the window track take a picture. measure it and mark it. it moves fore and aft a bit as well as in and out. Additionally you may need to remove the door cards and loosen the bottom of the window track. it mostly moves fore and aft. If you do not document where everything goes and and hwo far in and out the window track is you will spend a lot of time trying to get it so the window goes up and down easily is in the proper in and out plane. The stainless trim is press fitted over the glass and attached with screws to the track mechanism on the bottom of the door glass. the window removal also requires removing the rollers that are part of the window cranking mechanism. They are held on by clips. The only good news here is do not mess with the the front window, wind wing post. good luck, J.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you. I do have the shop and sealer manual but you're explanation and tips is what I needed. I.E. didn't think I would need to mark the position of certain parts. Do I need to remove the exterior door handle?

Ok, with your help I was able to remove the window with some effort. Can anyone tell me how to remove the stainless top trim with out damaging the glass? I have already removed the 3 retaining screws - but there seems to be quite a resistance in separating the glass from the trim.

Thanks

With a little tapping on the trim, was able to remove the trim. Thanks for your help.

I am replacing the damaged glass and redoing my windows on both sides of my 56 bird. the window post needs to be re-chromed and the window channel is worn out after almost 70 years. In the above description, it says that the window trim is press fitted to the glass. There is also a rubber gasket between the glass and the trim. Is this something that needs to be taken to a glass shop or can the be pressed with blocks of wood and C clamps or some similar method?

I am replacing the damaged glass and redoing my windows on both sides of my 56 bird. the window post needs to be re-chromed and the window channel is worn out after almost 70 years. In the above description, it says that the window trim is press fitted to the glass. There is also a rubber gasket between the glass and the trim. Is this something that needs to be taken to a glass shop or can the be pressed with blocks of wood and C clamps or some similar method?

Please note that there are two or three screws that attach the trim to the glass that must be removed. You will see them when the window is removed. I didn't have any issue in fitting the trim back on the window when I went through this process. Good luck.

Please note that there are two or three screws that attach the trim to the glass that must be removed. You will see them when the window is removed. I didn't have any issue in fitting the trim back on the window when I went through this process. Good luck.
I have removed the screws, and the rubber gasket and trim from the window, the trim will now pull off either the old or new glass. Someone above said it needed to be press fit over the glass.

I have removed the screws, and the rubber gasket and trim from the window, the trim will now pull off either the old or new glass. Someone above said it needed to be press fit over the glass.
I was able to fit it back on without a press. But, I did not replace the liner inside the trim. Maybe mine was a bit worn and so did not require a press.

I was able to fit it back on without a press. But, I did not replace the liner inside the trim. Maybe mine was a bit worn and so did not require a press.

I guess I was not clear. I can fit the trim and rubber seal over the top of the glass and it will slide on. However, it also slips off just as easy. I think you are supposed to press the two sides of the trim where it sandwiches the glass to keep is secure to the glass.

I guess I was not clear. I can fit the trim and rubber seal over the top of the glass and it will slide on. However, it also slips off just as easy. I think you are supposed to press the two sides of the trim where it sandwiches the glass to keep is secure to the glass.
I see. Mine stayed on, but can be loosened by hand. Would also like to know if there is some method to press the sides.

the trim should not pull off easy with your hand. I believe that there is a way to press the side of of the trim against the glass to make it grip and not slide off.

Replacing the rubber gasket should give you enough friction to stay adhered to the glass. If you want to tweak the trim for heavens sake do not do it while on the glass If you chip the edge the whole window will crack. Mine was a bit loose at the front edge after replacing the window. I just cut a slip strip of industrial double sided foam tape ( the stuff with the red covering It's waterproof ) slipped it in and solved the problem.

My guess is that the glass may be a tad thinner or the bedding material has compressed so it is loose. You should be able to get new bedding material at a glass shop.

I would hate to make a new post so I am tagging along here; I am trying to get a better fit at the point indicated in the photo. If I were to describe it, it might appear that the stainless trim is not “arched” enough at the front. There is a 3/8” gap over the glass and the channel of the stainless trim. Can I “re-shape” this trim with a little squeeze?F28D6E2C-9046-4A47-A247-133C6639870B.jpeg

I would hate to make a new post so I am tagging along here; I am trying to get a better fit at the point indicated in the photo. If I were to describe it, it might appear that the stainless trim is not “arched” enough at the front. There is a 3/8” gap over the glass and the channel of the stainless trim. Can I “re-shape” this trim with a little squeeze?View attachment 22007
That's exactly what mine was doing. Try my repair as listed above.

I have this amazing 3M sticky stuff, double sided so I will do that…thank you Ward 57.

Back