1957 door weatherstripping installation

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Please follow the posting directions moving forward. The subject "1957" is not a summary of what your post is about. I've revised it for you.

model-year-TBF.jpg

Hi, Does anyone have a photo of installing door weatherstripping?
thanks Lee

I don't have many photos but will pass on what I learned when I did mine. The kit I bought did not include the small short pieces that go on the top inside edge. My car had them already there and in good shape so I just left the old ones. As to the main long piece, the one in the kit I got seemed too short. I didn't realize that until I was almost finished and it was obvious that the remaining length was going to end up about 6 inches short of where it needed to be. Each of the ends is specially formed for where the ends go so I cut the new one about a foot from the end so I could put the new end in the right spot. I was able to salvage a "good" 6 inch piece from the old strip and put it in where the gap was that I had to cut out of the new one.

It's normal to stretch these a bit as you install them and I thought perhaps I had not stretched it enough but when I did the second door even with reasonable stretching it still came up short and I had to patch in a piece of old on that one too. I had pre-fit the second one so I made the patch along the bottom of the soon where it can't be seen. Don't recall what brand but it was from a major supplier. I used the black version of 3M weatherstrip adhesive. There isn't much room along the front of the door to get in there to put the adhesive. I used a stick of some sort to get the adhesive in that area.. I put the adhesive on the door rather than on the weatherstrip to reduce chances it would wander and stick to something I didn't want it on.

The bottom underside has a channel the weatherstrip goes into. Mine had some rust but was still usable. You might check yours before you get started and see what shape they are in. At least one of the usual vendors sells replacements if your are in too bad a shape.

weatherstripping upper front door on mine anno 1957 tbird.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Late but I had the same problem with the weather strip being too short. Mine was made by Daniel Carpenter which was said to be the best. Since I test-fitted before gluing, I knew it was short. As mentioned the ends are formed for those locations. Also, I put the glue on the door. I attached both ends first and temporarily duct taped them. Then I stretched the remaining part down and around the perimeter of the door and also duct taped that too. Needless to say it was difficult stretching as evenly as I could and holding in place. So much for Daniel Carpenter's version...............

I too came up about 6" short in test fitting. No amount of super glue would have allowed it to stay in place with that much stretching. I attached each end first and then filled the gap in the middle of the bottom of the doors. Used black adhesive. I also got my W/S from one of the major vendors. Not sure what is going on with the door main W/S not fitting.
Ralph

Back