1957 dash installation instructions

P

pjc

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
looking for information for installing a dashboard on a 1957 tbird I got the car was all parts were removed now I'm reinstalling them looking for information

looking for information for installing a dashboard on a 1957 tbird I got the car was all parts were removed now I'm reinstalling them looking for information
Please follow the posting prompts on your future posts. Your subject should be a brief summary of your post along with the model year. "dash board" could mean anything. Updating your title now.

model-year.jpg

Aside from the manuals and exploded diagram illustrations, YouTube has videos with folks showing various stages of repair and rebuild. Search that several ways as some titles make little tie in to the scenes in some of those videos. I have watched almost anything I find that said ‘55-‘57 Thunderbird. You never know what can pop up. The restoration manual @jack-in-sac mentions is very helpful

• Like/Thanks
Reactions: pjc
Basically, the dash just slides in. Attachment points are around the front near the windshield (screws) and a bolt on the lower right and left side. I believe there is some anti-squeak material around the perimeter. Friction tape would be a good material to use.

Basically, the dash just slides in. Attachment points are around the front near the windshield (screws) and a bolt on the lower right and left side. I believe there is some anti-squeak material around the perimeter. Friction tape would be a good material to use.
There is also a 'Y' brace that attaches to the firewall just above the trans tunnel.

Installing new padded dash. Do you need to use any adhesive? Hill and Concours. Sells a set of metal plates that are to be installed on the dash behind the.trim, these are to prevent the bottom of the padded dash from pulling away with shrinkage.Has anyone used these? If so, did you have any trouble installing the trim over the plates? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

Aside from the manuals and exploded diagram illustrations, YouTube has videos with folks showing various stages of repair and rebuild. Search that several ways as some titles make little tie in to the scenes in some of those videos. I have watched almost anything I find that said ‘55-‘57 Thunderbird. You never know what can pop up. The restoration manual @jack-in-sac mentions is very helpful
Also the trim and sealer manual may be helpful.

I’m ready to tackle the reinstall of the dash. As I stare at it, first question to come to mind is the proper sequencing. Gauges, switches, controls, lights, bezels, instrument cluster housing, et al are all lined up on my bench. The main wiring harness has yet to be installed. Steering column is out. Heating ductwork is in. Firewall insulation is in. My plan is to get the dash positioned to “slide” in, suspend the dash (ropes from the windshield frame), install instruments/gauges, etc. It seems like I should make as many electrical connections as possible at this point. Install windshield wiper motor. Then get the dash fixed to the frame.
Questions:
Is my sequence ok?
When should I install the radio?
Are there any heater controls I should address first?

I’m looking for confirmation or correction to my plan, but of course specific suggestions are always welcome.

I’m ready to tackle the reinstall of the dash. As I stare at it, first question to come to mind is the proper sequencing. Gauges, switches, controls, lights, bezels, instrument cluster housing, et al are all lined up on my bench. The main wiring harness has yet to be installed. Steering column is out. Heating ductwork is in. Firewall insulation is in. My plan is to get the dash positioned to “slide” in, suspend the dash (ropes from the windshield frame), install instruments/gauges, etc. It seems like I should make as many electrical connections as possible at this point. Install windshield wiper motor. Then get the dash fixed to the frame.
Questions:
Is my sequence ok?
When should I install the radio?
Are there any heater controls I should address first?

I’m looking for confirmation or correction to my plan, but of course specific suggestions are always welcome.
When I had my dash out for painting, etc, I installed the gauges and wiring on the bench (I rewired the car at the same time). Get a friend to help you set it in place because it a mite big to handle by yourself.

The Electrical Installation Manual has a good illustration on how the wire are routed at the dash

Here's the illustration.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue1957 Dash Wiring.jpg

Back