1957 clock stopped working

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
OhioTbird

OhioTbird

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Yesterday the clock stopped. Is there an inline fuse under the panel?

The simple answer is yes. there is an inline fuse for the clock. It is very unusual for this fuse to blow during normal operation. I suspect your clock man need to be cleaned. You can always bypass the fuse by using an alligator clip and a wire to a hot source and attach it to the power inlet on the clock or simply remove the fuse and touch the two connections of the fuse holder together. if you get the clock to work doing that, you have your answer.

• Like/Thanks
Reactions: TAL
When mine starting acting up I was usually able to snap the adjusting nut a couple of times. The contacts can get dirty especially if the battery went really low. I finally pulled mine and used some synthetic clock oil in all the bearings and a very light polishing of the points. it took a while before it would run consistently without tapping.

ONCE YOU GET IT WORKING AS ORIGINAL, OUT A SIMPLE SPST SWITCH N LINE MOUNTED IN THE BOTTOM OF THE DASH. TURN THE CLOCK OFF WHEN THE CAR IS NOT IN USE, EXTENDING THE LIFE OF THE CLOCK.
I just installed a master battery switch. A 1/2 twist and the whole system is de-energized. Fits just fine, easy to get to and only about $10, a quick safety switch in case something goes haywire.

The simple answer is yes. there is an inline fuse for the clock. It is very unusual for this fuse to blow during normal operation. I suspect your clock man need to be cleaned. You can always bypass the fuse by using an alligator clip and a wire to a hot source and attach it to the power inlet on the clock or simply remove the fuse and touch the two connections of the fuse holder together. if you get the clock to work doing that, you have your answer.
Instead of bypassing the fuse by touching the fuse holder connections together wouldn’t it be safer just to look at the fuse to see if it is blown, or connect an ohm meter across the fuse to see if there is continuity? If the clock is shorted causing the fuse to blow, by bypassing the fuse you could cause damage to the wiring harness.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Back