1957 Buying Advice

J
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi all,
I am looking to buy a new 1957 Ford Thunderbird Convertible off a classic car auction site called Clasiq and was hoping for some help. The car seems to be in excellent condition with 55,685 original miles, 312 v8 engine and Edelbrock carb. Interior is just as clean looking as exterior. I truly love the look of the vehicle but want further input before I dive head first into this thing. I will attach the link below for everyone to see. Please let me know.

Thanks,
J

It looks like a nice car, but does have some noted flaws. I would not consider the mileage original unless they have some real good supporting documents. Bid to your comfort level, good luck!

If the car is as stated it should go for at least $35K if not more closer to $40K with a frame off restoration just to cover the cost of such. Mine is a 3+ For an old restoration not body off but a good and clean driver and most in my condition go for around that. If it was that good it would be at one of the better known auction houses. How long ago was the restoration? There shouldn't be any rust anywhere if it was done right.
The bids are really low. Who ever evaluated it either is hiding something or doesn't know classic T-Birds. The write up is glowing 'A movie star!' The transmission is a 3 speed but starts out in 2nd unless forced to downshift by flooring it or manually shifting into low. If it has an Edelbrock carb that is a knock. Original carbs are available but not cheap. If it was a frame off restoration it should have the original carb. Also I noticed the T-Bird logo on the valve cover is red instead of turquoise as original. Somebody made it pretty but took short cuts. I'd like to run an inspection mirror underneath to see what's under the cosmetics. Unless you can see it for yourself I'd be very leery.

Last edited:
Hi all,
I am looking to buy a new 1957 Ford Thunderbird Convertible off a classic car auction site called Clasiq and was hoping for some help. The car seems to be in excellent condition with 55,685 original miles, 312 v8 engine and Edelbrock carb. Interior is just as clean looking as exterior. I truly love the look of the vehicle but want further input before I dive head first into this thing. I will attach the link below for everyone to see. Please let me know.

Thanks,
J
My only concern is that is an extremely low price for a car of this vintage. They can sell for five or six times the price it is going for currently. I'm skeptical.

If the car is as stated it should go for at least $35K if not more closer to $40K with a frame off restoration just to cover the cost of such. Mine is a 3+ For an old restoration not body off but a good and clean driver and most in my condition go for around that. If it was that good it would be at one of the better known auction houses. How long ago was the restoration? There shouldn't be any rust anywhere if it was done right.
The bids are really low. Who ever evaluated it either is hiding something or doesn't know classic T-Birds. The write up is glowing 'A movie star!' The transmission is a 3 speed but starts out in 2nd unless forced to downshift by flooring it or manually shifting into low. If it has an Edelbrock carb that is a knock. Original carbs are available but not cheap. If it was a frame off restoration it should have the original carb. Also I noticed the T-Bird logo on the valve cover is red instead of turquoise as original. Somebody made it pretty but took short cuts. I'd like to run an inspection mirror underneath to see what's under the cosmetics. Unless you can see it for yourself I'd be very leery.
What are some of the better known auction house. I’m thinking about selling mine

BAT aka Bring a Trailer is I believe the premium on line auction site.
just my opinion :)

Last edited by a moderator:
"1957 Ford Thunderbird Convertible" is not a summary of your post. Revising now.

PS we are an all Thunderbird site. No need to add "Ford Thunderbird " to your subject summary.

What are some of the better known auction house. I’m thinking about selling mine

Hi all,

Thanks,
J
A restoration means different things to different people.
Claim: elite status
No mention of awards at judged shows.
Claim: originality a parameter
fan is not original without mention of original fan included
"helper" springs in rear is not original and may indicate sagging springs needing re-arching or replacement
front spring spacers are not original and an indicator of sagging springs as above.
Claim: originality a parameter
Edelbrock carburetor is not original and no mention of either the model of the carburetor or whether the original carburetor is included
a nit pick of no consequence is the red instead of Thunderbird blue lettering on valve covers. also the differential is painted black rather than red oxide as original. Radio is not original without mention of original radio being included.
Neither to is shown to display condition.
Seller has shown worn areas where there is rust and where paint is worn in areas that hsould not show much wear such as dog leg area of door, etc.
Seals and chrome on windshield pillar do not agree with a restoration even if some time ago.

There are other worn items that do not reflect anything other than use since the "restoration". Nevertheless there is a cost to refresh them, such as the upholstery.

this may be a fine car but I would want an opinion from someone other than the owner as to condition.

No hard top?? That takes a couple of grand off the price. I like the add on A/C

So we are not speculating on the value of the car, attached is the latest Hagerty valuation report.

The prices assume that the car has both the hard and soft tops. -$6,000 for hard top only. -$4,000 for soft top only. Deductions can never exceed 50% of condition #4 value.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
1957-Haggery.jpg

My only concern is that is an extremely low price for a car of this vintage. They can sell for five or six times the price it is going for currently. I'm skeptical.
You probably should be! A car with 55 g on it should still have the original carb! Probably a Holley double pumper 4 barrel. My 57 is in excellent shape and would go for around 50-55 grand. If you can do a vacuum check to see if it pulls a continuous 19 vac. If it fluctuates, there may be internal problems.

You probably should be! A car with 55 g on it should still have the original carb! Probably a Holley double pumper 4 barrel. My 57 is in excellent shape and would go for around 50-55 grand. If you can do a vacuum check to see if it pulls a continuous 19 vac. If it fluctuates, there may be internal problems.
Must be close to # 1 condition. Excellent. Mine is a #3+and I figure its worth about $35+ K.

Back