1957 best oil to use? VR1 30w high zinc?

K
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I finally had a minute to go over the extensive maintenance record this car cam with. I ran into what I call a "check list", it contain notes on what type of oil. The previous owner went from 10w-40 to 20w-50, I've asked several T-Bird owners during our weekly cruise. Several shared that they use w30 detergent and some use 15w-40, the 15w-40 I used in my diesel Mercedes cars, because it contain high zinc. but most oil this days does not contain the zinc most older engine needs. for my C2 and C3 corvette I run 10w-30 VR1 Valvoline with high zinc. What is the harm in using the VR1 30w high zinc oil on this Bird?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

When you post to the forum, summarize your post in the subject for more responses. "1957 tbird" is about as vague as you can get.
summary-of-post.jpg

Koya, Valvoline ZR1 30W is the oil I recommend for these old Y-Blocks and run in my 56 T-Bird. All flat tappet engines should us ZR1. My 68 Cutlass see's 6500 RPM so I run 20W50.

Good luck,
Steve

I finally had a minute to go over the extensive maintenance record this car cam with. I ran into what I call a "check list", it contain notes on what type of oil. The previous owner went from 10w-40 to 20w-50, I've asked several T-Bird owners during our weekly cruise. Several shared that they use w30 detergent and some use 15w-40, the 15w-40 I used in my diesel Mercedes cars, because it contain high zinc. but most oil this days does not contain the zinc most older engine needs. for my C2 and C3 corvette I run 10w-30 VR1 Valvoline with high zinc. What is the harm in using the VR1 30w high zinc oil on this Bird?
I too am using Rotella 15/40 oil for diesels due to the zinc.

Back