1957 Adjusting Hood Gaps

Tom Davis

Tom Davis

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions for one person to adjust hood to fender gaps without damage to the paint.

Front, side and rear.
If the heights all match and the gap is uneven all the way around is problematic. I suspect that the hood is fine but at one time in it's life there was minor front end damage.
You have to remember that ford tried an experiment with these as the whole body was one piece. No more just replacing a fender. The fender was part of the body and all seams were leaded and smooth.
If the front end were tweaked minor twists and turns were almost impossible to straighten.
I have kind of the same problem. Minor bump in the front corner but enough to push the bumper into the front of the fender. Repaired the bumper brackets & touched up the paint but now have a permanent bow in the top of the fender well. No way to repair other than pulling and manipulating the metal plus paint.
I just chalk it up to the same as the bruises that linger on these old arms. It's a very correct driver and minor imperfections are ignored. Concours, no. But it's all go and good show at 10'. More fun to drive than show.

Wrap both the fender edges and hood edges with several layers of painters blue tape to prevent scratches. Loosen hinges enough to allow slight movement and reposition carefully. Mark old placement incase you have to go back. Good luck ?
I’ve never been good at this ?

Wrap both the fender edges and hood edges with several layers of painters blue tape to prevent scratches. Loosen hinges enough to allow slight movement and reposition carefully. Mark old placement incase you have to go back. Good luck ?
I’ve never been good at this ?
I was able to get the hood adjusted and the latching mechanism adjusted so I can hold the hood 12 inches open and drop the hood and it will latch. Thanks for the replies.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions for one person to adjust hood to fender gaps without damage to the paint.
You probably have the motor in place ,but if not 2nd person closed inside can help move and drill tiny holes through hinge and into hood making replacement easy later when motor is in.

Back