1956 Thunderbird power steering adjustment

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
M

Mr. Bill

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I replaced the control valve in my 1956 Thunderbird along with other parts of the power steering system. The steering wheel drives very sloppy I feel like i am all over the road. Can this be adjusted to tighten up the steering? If so how is it done. My mechanic showed me a nut on the end of the control valve but said there is no room to screw this nut out to firm up the steering. Should the nut be unscrewed (counter clock wise) off the bolt to firm up the steering or screwed down ( clock wise) to firm it up the steering.

I replaced the control valve in my 1956 Thunderbird along with other parts of the power steering system. The steering wheel drives very sloppy I feel like i am all over the road. Can this be adjusted to tighten up the steering? If so how is it done. My mechanic showed me a nut on the end of the control valve but said there is no room to screw this nut out to firm up the steering. Should the nut be unscrewed (counter clock wise) off the bolt to firm up the steering or screwed down ( clock wise) to firm it up the steering.
No, nut should not be loosened. Have you checked the play in the steering box? There is an adjustment that can be made on the steering box. With everything connected you really should have 2 people, but may be able to tell. Stand outside the car gently turn the wheel back and forth and watch the wheels for any movement. If there is any free play in the wheel you can try to adjust the screw on top of the box. Loosen the lock nut and turn the screw clock-wise. Then check the movement again. You may need to rebuild the steering box.

Is there any play in the wheel when the engine is off? Could be play in the steering gear box which is adjustable.

If you are referring to the nut in the attached picture, it should be torque to 10 to 15 foot pounds.

Was the steering wheel sloppy before you replaced the power steering control valve? If not, your problem may be with the ball stud seats in the socket tube on the replacement control valve.

Below is an article I wrote on how to adjust the steering box, but before you make any adjustments make sure you check all of the steering and suspension components for wear or damage.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

If there is a lot of play in the steering wheel before the front wheels turn and the steering components are not worn or damaged, there is an adjustment for the sector shaft end play on the top of the steering box.
Power Steering Control Valve.jpgstar-washer-cap.jpgstar-washer-lock.jpg

Place the steering wheel in the straight ahead position. Remove the cap on the steering box and you will see a star washer in center of the flat head screw with a tang that locks the screw in place. Lift the washer and turn the screw clockwise one serration only and try it out. Keep going one serration at a time until you get as much of the play out of the steering wheel that you are comfortable with. A couple of words of warning: (1) If the worm gear is worn out, no amount of adjusting the steering box will help. (2) If you turn the adjustment screw too much you will be able to turn the steering wheel left or right, but then it will not return to the straight ahead position

Attachments

• Steering Box Adjustment.pdf
    379.8 KB · Views: 12
Last edited by a moderator:
There is a good description in the 1957 Ford Shop Manual on how to adjust the steering for a 1957. I assume that the 1956 steering box is the same as a 57.

Thanks to all for the information, but I decided to replace the power steering with a rack and pinion replacement system specifically for the 55-57 birds. I was looking at 2 systems, the flaming river and the unisteer system. I went with the unisteer system as it was better than $1000.00 cheaper. It wound up costing me $1800.00 + for the kit on e bay and because I don't do the work myself my mechanic charged what he charged. He had to make quite a few adjustments because I put in an AC unit andthe bracket for the rack and pnion was not long enough the be out of the way of the AC component ( I think the compresssor) and also needed an L shaped connecter on the end of the hose. He also said he had to cut down other parts of the the steering . to make it fit. Find that the rack and pinion system has made all the difference in the world.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the comments on rack and pinion steering. Did you also install the upgraded front and rear sway bar kit? I assume that you have radial tires.

no I did not upgrade sway bars and do not have radials. These will be future projects

Interesting, radials make an amazing difference as do the sway bars. I was going to get rid of my Bird until I put radials on it and the sway bars ($500) made almost as much difference. a couple of lower price modifications that might have saved you a few bucks over the rack and pinion.

Good luck.

I'm having the same problem...now with the info fromDoug 7740 I will be in my shop first thing in the morning! Let's hope that works

Back