1956 Thunderbird; I'm 6'4"

N
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
None
I fell in love with a 1956 Thunderbird (I am partial to the 1956 year as I owned a 1956 Ford Country Sedan with the 292 engine when I was a kid.). My problem is that I am 6’4”. I don’t fit in the driver’s seat. With my legs bent tightly, I can put my toe on the accelerator, and I have even greater problem reaching the brake. I am neither comfortable, nor safe. Moving the tracks on which the seat is mounted, I could gain, maybe, an inch at most. I have heard there is a smaller steering wheel available, but I am not certain that would be enough. I need assistance in order to be comfortable purchasing this vehicle.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I am 6' 5" and got a small wheel and that took care of the problem. I got my wheel on ebay and it did not fit and they refused to give a full refund. The spline was different and the horn required extensive modification to work as well. I would avoid ibuybyweb.

I am 6' 5" and got a small wheel and that took care of the problem. I got my wheel on ebay and it did not fit and they refused to give a full refund. The spline was different and the horn required extensive modification to work as well. I would avoid ibuybyweb.
I thank you for your input. the smaller wheel sounds like a reasonable fix. I wonder if the telescoping wheel on the '56 that I viewed had the wheel set in the full "out" position rather than the "in" position. I was not able to manually turn the collar that allows that adjustment. I could budge the collar a little, but could not turn it further nor return the it to it's original position. I was attempting to turn it counter clockwise as I was sitting in the driver's seat. I was assuming no set screw, just loosen it to adjust the wheel and then tighten it back up.
Your post was a great help. Thank you!

You are correct, there is NO set screw. When I first got the car i had to use an oil filter strap wrench to losen the collar. Dont be afraid to really lean into it the synthetic strap wont mar the collar. I eventually replaced the column with an aftermarket tilting column.

You have been very helpful. I appreciate that. My immediate goal is to find a '55 '56 '57 near here so that I can sit in it and visualize the changes. (I assume you are nowhere near northeast Nebraska.) Can you provide me with the background of your aftermarket tilting column? We may have a fix here. Thanks, again.

You have been very helpful. I appreciate that. My immediate goal is to find a '55 '56 '57 near here so that I can sit in it and visualize the changes. (I assume you are nowhere near northeast Nebraska.) Can you provide me with the background of your aftermarket tilting column? We may have a fix here. Thanks, again.

Unfortunately I am in Massachusetts. If you ask on the forum I suspect there will be someone that will let you sit in theirs. I got the steering column from Flaming River. It was a direct replacement without the telescoping feature and you have to figure out the wiring harness as it does not directly plug in. Good luck with your search.
Bill

Thanks, Bill. I think I have found a '57 about 20 miles away. I stopped by a custom shop and the owner told me that he had reupholstered a seat for this gentleman about 2-3 years ago. I will contact him tomorrow. I appreciate the information on Flaming River. I found their web site in the last couple of days. Glad to hear that their product fit your needs.
Thank you, so much, for your open answers to my questions. Maybe I'll get to own a '56 yet.
Al

I'm in Norfolk and own a '57. You are welcome to stop by and try mine. I was finally able to get the wheel to move in and out.

Good luck on your "challenge." I noted on one of the Thunderbird forums when I bought my '57 last October, that someone posted a note that the early T-Birds were designed for heights up to 5'8". Whether true or not, I'm 5'10" and had trouble slipping under the steering wheel, even with an adjustable steering column. I have since changed to a smaller steering wheel.
That sounds familiar, Plus you see a lot of old ads with women drivers. They had to convince them it was a car they could drive instead of the cantankerous imports and let hubby buy a sports car.

Back