1956 Tbird Vacuum required for wiper

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
A
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have a 1956 Tbird and I have about 17 in Hg going to the wiper, Does anyone know how much is required for the wiper to work properly? Thanks for any help Jerry

My ‘55 has same 17 Hg and wipes work well.

Hi,

First, check the condition of the vacuum tubing to the wiper motor, if it is good I suspect that your motor my be getting tired. The leather diaphragm may be dried out. An easy fix for that is to run a can of brake fluid through the wiper motor which will possibly soften the diaphragm and restore function to the motor.

Good luck,

Did the brake fluid on my 57, worked wonders, but it will blow white smoke via tailpipe during the process, without harm!

I did the brake and it did not help. I bought a rebuilt vacuum motor and plugged the vacuum hose into it to check it out and it move in one direction and stop???????

I did the brake and it did not help. I bought a rebuilt vacuum motor and plugged the vacuum hose into it to check it out and it move in one direction and stop???????
there is a mechanism in the wiper that switches the vacuum to the other side of the diaphragm to make the motor move the arms in both directions. Your motor may not have been assembled properly.

I'm sure you did but did you Manipulate the switch? What you describe it's in the off position and goes into 'park'.

No i put it in the off position and it goes back to the park position, then turn it on and it move one time and stops.

I had an electric windshield wiper installed in my 57. I, with great effort, was able to remove the old vacuum one (which had stopped working) and switch. I was not able to install the electric one and had a shop do it, along with correcting a number of small issues. The new 2 speed electric works great. I was able to repairs the washer system and now it works great as well. Not for you If you want to stay with the period correct vacuum wipers. Up here in the Pacific North it rains a lot so you need a good windshield wiper/washer system.

Back