1956 T-Bird Battery Problems

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
MJP
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have a '56 T-Bird that kills new batteries within a couple of weeks. They don't just lose power. Something kills the battery, usually within 2-3 weeks and I have to replace it. Any ideas on what could be causing it?

Your voltage regulator can cause this problem if you still have the old generator and regulator. Disconnect the wire from the battery to the regulator and see if this stops your problem.

I have a '56 T-Bird that kills new batteries within a couple of weeks. They don't just lose power. Something kills the battery, usually within 2-3 weeks and I have to replace it. Any ideas on what could be causing it?
Even with an alternator if your voltage regulator fails it can cook the battery. Overcharging as suggested in the post by Dale Leonard can kill a battery. Have you ever smelled a sour smell after a long drive? Is there an indication on the underside of your hood of bubbled paint; it could be an indicator of boiling battery acid fumes from overcharging. I would suggest checking the voltage and/or amperage from the output side of the regulator at a running r.p.m. say 2000-2500 r.p.m. You would normally find about 14 to 14.5 volts running at that speed. Much more that 14-14.5 volts would be excessive.
good luck, I hope you are able to solve the problem soon. john

I can only assume humor is not allowed in the forum...Mr. Moderator.

Even with an alternator if your voltage regulator fails it can cook the battery. Overcharging as suggested in the post by Dale Leonard can kill a battery. Have you ever smelled a sour smell after a long drive? Is there an indication on the underside of your hood of bubbled paint; it could be an indicator of boiling battery acid fumes from overcharging. I would suggest checking the voltage and/or amperage from the output side of the regulator at a running r.p.m. say 2000-2500 r.p.m. You would normally find about 14 to 14.5 volts running at that speed. Much more that 14-14.5 volts would be excessive.
I have not noticed a small as you described. I will check the underside of the hood, though. Thank you.

I have not noticed a small as you described. I will check the underside of the hood, though. Thank you.

To avoid the potentially very damaging results of an over charged battery I strongly recommend the addition of a volt meter to every old TBird. A volt meter is far better than the ampmeter in monitoring the performance of the charging system and can save you from costly repair bills and getting stranded on the side of the road.

I tested the voltage yesterday, and it was 13.7. Seems about right.
I also would go with a bad regulator. I replaced mine with an over the counter replacement. Been working fine since.
If I remember correctly the regulator has points just like a distributor. If they have burned to the point they are fused, the power from the battery will try to charge the starter thinking it's the generator. They are very similar but just work in reverse. Ever have a starter Bendix spring stick and keep the starter engaged while the motor is running? It turns into a generator. Weird I know, but just try smacking the regulator with a rubber mallet and see if it frees up the points..
Oh, pardon me, My analogy is wrong. Stuck points will try to turn the generator into the starter, constantly energizing it and draining the battery.

Last edited:
Hello everyone,
I have a question is my 1956 Ford T-Birth why the engine shut off after I start the engine and release the start position but if I keep the key in start the starter running then I can accelerate great and when I keep high RPM the release the key off start position then the engine shut off. Anyone here have any idea to help me out. Thanks a lot

Ignition resister shot . When you keep the key in the start position, the starter is also engaged. Now you can buy a starter too!!

Henro is spot on bad resistor. Do yourself a favor and never do that test again. Will destroy starter and possibly ring gear.

[/Have you replace the Votage Regulator If you bought it from NAPA or Advance Auto Parts they list 56 T-Bird as 6 Volts which is wrong. There books are wrong. You might have a 6 volts Votage Regulator. Just one thing to check out.QUOTE]

Back