1956 stalls when braking hard

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Is it dying in conjunction with taking your foot off the gas pedal and applying the brakes hard? Or is it stallng after you come to a complete stop? Does your car have a functoning dashpot?

Car has front wheel disc brakes. Auto tranny.
The rebuilt engine has about 75 miles on it

Is it dying in conjunction with taking your foot off the gas pedal and applying the brakes hard? Or is it stallng after you come to a complete stop? Does your car have a functoning dashpot?
The car dies during severe braking. The dashpot was recently rebuilt but no further adjustments have been done.

The car dies during severe braking. The dashpot was recently rebuilt but no further adjustments have been done.
Generally speaking the dashpots I have seen are not re-buildable. Be that as it may; What is the engine idle in gear? With an automatic transmission when you suddenly remove your foot from the gs pedal the dashpot is there to slow down the throttle return to idle speed. If the dashpot is not working the very quick deceleration may result in the engine stopping. the throttle snaps shut and engine stalls. This may be what you are experiencing. Perhaps a more detailed description may allow others to offer remedies.

The Dashpot.jpg
Dashpot Adjust 1.jpgDashpot Adjust 2.jpg
With the engine idling, press the dashpot stem all the way in. While holding it in this position rotate the dashpot adjusting screw to provide a clearance of .050 inch at the stem.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Back