1956 power steering soft seats for hoses

woodeye

woodeye

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I read some ware that the soft aluminum seats need to be replaced where the hoses attach to the cylinder and control valve. .I've found rebuild kits for the valve and cylinder but there weren't any soft seats. I haven't been able to find the reference to the seats I saw previously. I replaced the hoses but they look like they might be leaking where they attach.
Also the rebuild kit I got was very inclusive of all needed seals, springs etc. except it didn't include the brass ball joint sleeve. I was told that unless they are damaged by using a pickle fork to separate the ball from the arm that there is usually very little wear on this part. Mine looks good but how does one know if it is worn?
Also my kit was for a 65 mustang. The components look identical to the ones I removed from the T bird. Did Ford use the same valve and cylinder into the 60's?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I read some ware that the soft aluminum seats need to be replaced where the hoses attach to the cylinder and control valve. .I've found rebuild kits for the valve and cylinder but there weren't any soft seats. I haven't been able to find the reference to the seats I saw previously. I replaced the hoses but they look like they might be leaking where they attach.
Also the rebuild kit I got was very inclusive of all needed seals, springs etc. except it didn't include the brass ball joint sleeve. I was told that unless they are damaged by using a pickle fork to separate the ball from the arm that there is usually very little wear on this part. Mine looks good but how does one know if it is worn?
Also my kit was for a 65 mustang. The components look identical to the ones I removed from the T bird. Did Ford use the same valve and cylinder into the 60's?

Take a look at this site. His kits seem to have those seats as well as the brass sleeve. Lots of good info in general there.

Thanks Jim
I tried to get ahold of Stanger about 5 times in the last week. I left messages All different times of the day, nobody calls me back so I don't know what the story is. Wish I could get through to them.

Those look like they might be the ticket I watched a couple of the CJ videos on YouTube about rebuilding the valves. Quite informative. I'll try to call them tomorrow and make sure that they are the right ones for the 56 Thunderbird. everybody seems to Talk about the kit for the 65 to 68 Mustangs. Hope this stuff is the same for the early tbirds.

Good luck. I have only used CJ once and never received my part (nor was I charged) and I never heard back from messages left. I heard their customer service does not exist and I believe it. If they have it order and cross your fingers.

Thanks Jim
I tried to get ahold of Stanger about 5 times in the last week. I left messages All different times of the day, nobody calls me back so I don't know what the story is. Wish I could get through to them.
Well that's not encouraging. I'm almost tempted to order a kit just in case I ever need one so if it takes a month to get it I'll still have it.

Thought I'd give yall an up date.
After many attempts to contact some of the suppliers discussed above I talked to a guy named Roger Rode of Rode's Restorations. He was extremely helpful and willing to talk and explain the valve and the slave cylinder to me. Turns out that even though you can use the valve and cylinder from an early mustang to replace your old ones' they are different and the rebuild kits are not the same. He's sending me the correct kits and said he'd be happy to coach me if I run into any problems. He also said not to replace the soft seats. But use a small coating of pipe dope and tighten up the hose fitting.
I'll let you know how it goes.
Thanks for all your input.
Jeff

Back