1956 power steering pump

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
DJP
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Has anyone rebuilt there power steering pump? I have bought a kit but was wondering if there was any tricks or suggestions for rebuilding it. Anyone know if i have to bleed the system afterwards? Pump is leaking
Thanks

I have not rebuilt the power steering pump on my ‘56 but thought I would have to because it was leaking. Fortunately it turned to be only the O ring seal between the pump and the reservoir. Have you checked yours?
Jim Yergin

I have not rebuilt the power steering pump on my ‘56 but thought I would have to because it was leaking. Fortunately it turned to be only the O ring seal between the pump and the reservoir. Have you checked yours?
Jim Yergin

Not yet. I will have to look at it. Whatever is leaking is dripping down and being blown by the fan blade. Makes it hard to tell where it's coming from.

As long as the pump is still producing enough pressure to operate the system, a simple tear down, cleaning and replacement of seals will more than likely solve your problem. If the rotor or impeller are worn, that may be a problem as I do not know of anyone that has reproduced them. You may be able to find good used ones. This is generally not a problem unless the pump has been run low on fluid.

• Like/Thanks
Reactions: DJP
Turning the steering from one side to the other should bleed out the system (engine running)

Back