1956 Is this steering wheel original style?

A
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I wanted to know if the steering wheel in the picture is the correct one for the 1956 and also I want a tip on how to remove it? Thanks for any help...JerryTbird 09.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Not sure in 56 they used a 3 spoke wheel?
To remove (if the same) there might be screws on the back side of the spokes connecting the horn ring. Some wheels you push and turn the horn ring. Steering wheel nut is under horn ring. Be gentle.

that is the correct style steering wheel

DO YOU HAVE A SHOP MANUAL? If not get one.
Appears to be correct for 1956 and 1957. After you disconnect the battery push in on the center of the horn ring and twist it counterclockwise. that should allow removal of the horn ring. You will be able to see the threaded holes to use for removal of the steering wheel. Refer to your shop manual before proceeding further.
Follow the information you will see there. Another good source to understand how things go together is the parts catalogs issued by the various Thunderbird speciailty suppliers.

I'm no expert, but I think that the only thing about this steering wheel that's not factory-correct would be the wrap. Not that it looks bad by any means, it's just not standard.

OK thanks for the good advice and I have a shop manual on order it has not arrived yet. The reason why I asked if it was standard because it is so large about 18" ROUND? Thanks again Jerry

A little bit off the topic but does anyone know where to source the steering wheel wrap that is on this car??
I have one that is in poor condition but have not had any luck finding a new one. I like them and think that they are classic 50s driver add on items.
thanks

I did a different Ford and found the steering wrap on Ebay there was good instructions on stitching them. Hope this helps Jerry

OK thanks for the good advice and I have a shop manual on order it has not arrived yet. The reason why I asked if it was standard because it is so large about 18" ROUND? Thanks again Jerry
Mine is about 17" in diameter. Yes that is stock. The old wheels were large so you could have good leverage at slow speeds as may cars were built without power steering. Aftermarket wheels that are smaller are available so larger people can fit behind them. The cockpits are small as people on average were smaller in the 50s. I'm only 5'6" 130lbs and I have the seat all the way back and the wheel all the way forward. It helps being small when I need to crawl underneath the dash.

I wanted to know if the steering wheel in the picture is the correct one for the 1956 and also I want a tip on how to remove it? Thanks for any help...JerryView attachment 13596
I wanted to know if the steering wheel in the picture is the correct one for the 1956 and also I want a tip on how to remove it? Thanks for any help...JerryView attachment 13596
it sure looks like the original,to remove horn ring ,push it in and turn to the left,after removing ring you can remove nut and then use a puller to remove steering wheel.

Yes I am not 135lbs and the seat won't adjust so I am in the process of taking it out and seeing what wrong with it. Also there is no problem steering this car has rack and pinon steering. It looks pretty old I did not think they made it in 1956. Thanks Jerry

Last edited:
Yes I am not 135lbs and the seat won't adjust so I am in the process of taking it out and seeing what wrong with it. Also there is no problem steering this car has rack and pinon steering. It looks pretty old I did not think they made it in 1956. Thanks Jerry
No a 1956 wouldn’t have Rack & Pinion originally, if your looking for more room between the seat and the steering wheel they make a smaller replica wheel

I agree the size of the steering is enormous

Back