1956 horn ring removal

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
T
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I was able to remove the original horn ring on 1956 t bird but now I am having problems removing the horn ring on the small repro steering wheel. It feels lose but when I try to apply pressure like I did on the original horn ring I cannot get it off. Has someone else had this problem on the repro smaller wheels Or am I just not using the right technique thaks Tom

I was able to remove the original horn ring on 1956 t bird but now I am having problems removing the horn ring on the small repro steering wheel. It feels lose but when I try to apply pressure like I did on the original horn ring I cannot get it off. Has someone else had this problem on the repro smaller wheels Or am I just not using the right technique thaks Tom
I had the same problem with my repro smaller steering wheel but was finally able to attach it using a significant amount of pressure. I did check and rechecked the attaching prongs (?) several times to ensure they matched.

I have read that all of us using the smaller wheel have this same problem. I have one on the ‘57 and on the ‘56. I took two heavier 5 gallon paint stirrer sticks and used them as levers towards the center of the wheel so they did not mar the plastic surface of the plastic. This has worked for me several times. Once you start removing it two Or three times, it gets a lot easier

i would have used two heavy screwdrivers but you would need to cushion the plastic wheel in order not to mark it or dent the material

Back