1956 hard top storage

M

Mr. Bill

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
in a 2 car garage, I have been told that the way to store my hard top for the 56 bird is to hoist it on a pulley system to the roof, can someone tell me where I can get this type of a system. I saw something on youttube but the web site did not exist.

in a 2 car garage, I have been told that the way to store my hard top for the 56 bird is to hoist it on a pulley system to the roof, can someone tell me where I can get this type of a system. I saw something on youttube but the web site did not exist.
There are three point strap hoists to lift the tops off of the cars. I would use them to mount and remove the top, but not for long term hanging storage. The straps will permanently crush the rubber at the rear and drip rails. I had two of these types of lifts for years for my Thunderbirds and learned the hard way not to use them for long term storage.

From April 1990 to February 2011, CASCO published a newsletter called ThunderEnlightening. I got this tip about making metal covers to protect the weather stripping during storage from the October 1997 issue.

When I stored my hardtop on a hoist, I used these metal covers to protect the weather stripping from hardtop hoist straps during storage.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Attachments

• Hardtop Hoist Weatherstrip Protectors.pdf
    180.2 KB · Views: 4

Bill, I think I saw the same youtube post as you, and the vendor didn't exist anymore. I ended up making a similar bracket to hoist my hardtop, cost about $30. I used a hoist on bought on Amazon and used lags to secure into ceiling joists. Very easy to operate, and you can position the car under the hood to be lowered. I've attached a couple of pics fyi. BOM for the hanger bracket below. Good luck.

IMG_2317.JPG IMG_2316.JPG
1 3/4" x 6' black iron pipe
1 3/4" x 4' " " "
10'- 12' ss aviation cable
3 1/4" threaded eye-bolts
2 carabiners - note load when purchasing these
2 cable clamps
3 3/4" x 6' pipe insulation

The above hoist arrangement is excellent, it won't distort the weatherstripping like the 3-pint nylon sling arrangement does because the center of gravity of the top is right at the side clamps so about 90% of the top's weight is carried there. For those who may make something like this, note that there is a "safety sling" to keep the roof from tipping forward or back. I made a very similar hoist, using two 2x4s, fittings and a small block and tackle hoist that I got at Home Depot, all for about $80. For the safety strap, I used 2 small nylon straps with a "soft" hook at the end to balance the top

I used a 3-point nylon sling arrangement for many years and it worked fine but it did distort the weather strips over the side windows and below the back window. Never caused a leak at those locations, but I didn't like the looks of the distorted weather strips.

Back