1956 fuel guage wanted to buy

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

suppliers sell a kit that has both the gauge and sending unit. NPD lists P/N T-9275-1A for $161.48. Hill's lists P/N 9280-B for $149.95

I found a guy in Portland oregon that rebuilds Ford gauges. says since a fuel gauge only measures ohms, that 6 or 12 volts will work . So I am giving it a try.

Yes, If I remember correctly the Fords used 6V gauges for many years. Even after the cars were switched over to 12V the gauges were still 6V using an instrument voltage regulator. My '55 had been converted to 12V and there were two little regulators installed under the dash. One for each circuit. Some guys only run one regulator to feed both gauges. There is some discussion over at the H.A.M.B. web site. One person mentions that Ford gauges were 6V all the way up until 1985. They even say there is a regulator used on MOPAR and list some P/N in their thread. I hope this information is helpful.

I cannot say 100% certain. Based on my research and the way my car was wired when I bought it I would say 1956 had the regulator. I looked in Hill's catalog and they only list the instrument voltage regulator (P/N 10804) as a 1957 part. I have a very old parts diagram book that shows gauge circuit for all models is the same and it shows the "constant Voltage Unit" as part of that circuit.gauge circuit.jpg gauge circuit.jpg

Back