1956 fuel additive

Status
Not open for further replies.
knuckle47

knuckle47

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
read the newest issue of Early Bird March-April 2022. Page 38 posts a question about stalling in panic stops and a few thoughts about it, Ron Trella asked the questioner he he’d considered adding 1 pint of diesel fuel to 10 gallons of gasoline to help mitigate the effects of dry alcohol fuel we buy today.

HAS anyone done something like this and if so, what have you discovered? I have used Star-Tron and now use a Bell Performance product call Ethanol Defense. I can’t say which works best so far no issues but, the 1 pint of diesel fuel is easily obtainable and cheaper

Sta-bil is recommended to prevent the gasoline with alcohol from deteriorating
I have a model A and the old boys recommended adding 4 oz of marvel mystery oil to 10 gallons to help keep the tank from rusting and lube the valves.

Some interesting info/tests here.. Ethanol is garbage. Doesn't reduce emissions on anything built in the past 40 years, harms everything it touches, reduces your gas mileage. The only thing ethanol benefits is the corn farmers and the pocketbooks of the politicians.

As to using Deisel in gas, is there any evidence it does anything? People have been putting ATF, MMO, Acetone, and all sorts of stuff in fuel and making claims but I rarely see any evidence that any of it works.

Awesome review….

So if I read the first post correctly the issue is about stalling during panic stops. No fuel additive is going to correct that. More than likely the carburetor float adjustment is off.

As answer to the initial problem, it's either a too low idle or float problem.

I don't add anything to my gas. All we have up here is 10 %. No stalling, car runs fine. No valve problems. Gas doesn't go sour during the winter. Car is an automatic. Personally, I think the additive stuff is junk. My son used Sta-bil in his car one winter. Screwed up his carb big time. Hasn't used it since and hasn't had any problem.

@74 Harley My mistake… I use that line about the stalling so if anyone was interested in looking at the magazine, it was more readily identified by referencing some of the printed question… the after thought while responding to that other question in the magazine, led to using fuel additives… where among others, diesel was suggested

I was having a problem using E10 with the engine idle slowly going down while stopped and warm. It would sometimes stall. I set the idle up a little (900 with no load) and used an ethanol treatment. Runs perfect now. Not sure which fixed it but the next time I fill up, I won't put the treatment in and see what happens.

read the newest issue of Early Bird March-April 2022. Page 38 posts a question about stalling in panic stops and a few thoughts about it, Ron Trella asked the questioner he he’d considered adding 1 pint of diesel fuel to 10 gallons of gasoline to help mitigate the effects of dry alcohol fuel we buy today.

HAS anyone done something like this and if so, what have you discovered? I have used Star-Tron and now use a Bell Performance product call Ethanol Defense. I can’t say which works best so far no issues but, the 1 pint of diesel fuel is easily obtainable and cheaper
I am using Sta-Bil 360 Marine for storage & ethanol mitigation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back