1956 Front Disk Brake Identity

CtCarGuy

CtCarGuy

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I need help identifying the front disk brakes on my '56. ?These were converted before I bought the car. They are 4 piston but other than a making SB5C 3, I don't see any other ID. I need to replace the brake pads. The rotors are Ford based on the bering seals. Can anyone identify what these pads were made for?

Photo Jul 26, 2 50 52 PM.jpgPhoto Jul 26, 2 53 12 PM.jpg Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I inserted your images into your post using this method:

Looks like the late 60s model pads.
Take one to a good parts dealer and compare it with a 67 mustang pad.

They look like the Kelsey Hays 4-piston calipers that came on 65-66 Mustang GTs. I would start there. A good parts guy should be able to find matching pads, if you take yours in. My 66 Mustang GT had those calipers.

I'm pretty sure that Ford went with single-piston calipers in 1967. Several of the Tbird parts vendors sell the 4-piston KH conversion kits, but you might get better pads, at a better price, elsewhere.

The 67 also used the 4 piston caliper, but with a slightly larger (7/16") port hole.
I believe those pads were interchangeable. As blacktie stated, a good parts guy will fix ya up.

Back