1956 Door Panel Trim Installation

Jcarmichael

Jcarmichael

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have a 1957 Thunderbird but just purchased a 1956 and it is a project that needs the interior installed. I think I have all the parts but have not found any thing to fasten the L shaped trim piece to the panel. it is a new panel and I also purchased a new metal trim section. Hoping someone has done this before. I have the CITI restoration books and the other books recommended but unfortunately the process is not shown.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Are you referring to this part?E7CA4998-D718-4D5E-B26E-1D601DBC6E0D.jpeg

If so, I used some black weather stripping adhesive to position the edge but the used stainless steel staples from a masonry staple gun. Had I not had the staple gun, I was going to drill some holes in the blind areas and thread some wire thru it and secure it to the back of the fiber panel

By the way, that 3M black weather strip adhesive, when dry, made me confident I would not have had to do much to secure it in place. But I did staple it

I have a 1957 Thunderbird but just purchased a 1956 and it is a project that needs the interior installed. I think I have all the parts but have not found any thing to fasten the L shaped trim piece to the panel. it is a new panel and I also purchased a new metal trim section. Hoping someone has done this before. I have the CITI restoration books and the other books recommended but unfortunately the process is not shown.
Basically it's held in place by staples on the flat edge of the wide bottom part. The armrest will go over the bottom of it where the staples go and you don't see them. I don't think mine had any staples on the top edge, the other door trim goes over that and holds things in place.

Found this when I was asking this same question back in early March

I tried hot glue but it didn't stick to the vinyl or the cardboard panel. The arm rest is holding it mostly. I need to remove it and adjust as it slid back and was catching on the door jam. Who would have thought that something they could produce at a high rate but us have a tough time.

Read @jack-in-sac use of the template. You can drill tiny holes with the correct spacing. If you feel that’s a bit more than you want to do, just used a stainless wire to act like a twist tie. It goes quickly and worked nicely

I did glue mine but then wired the top and bottom Directly to the panel although the glue really seemed secure

Thanks for the reply's. I hadn't considered staples but that would make sense. I will use the drill and small stainless wire method.

Back