1956 Continental Kit Not Holding Spare Tire

Thunderbird Year
The lock dowel is not being held by the clamp. I have tried adjusting the dowel but the clamp still does not completely hold the dowel and the tire spare tire falls out of place. Any suggestion on how to fix this?

Thunderbird Year
While the lever has a spring that brings it back up, are you sure the lever is coming all the back up?. Also check the "catch" the lever moves to make sure it is working properly.

jack-in-sac

Thunderbird Year
The lock dowel is not being held by the clamp. I have tried adjusting the dowel but the clamp still does not completely hold the dowel and the tire spare tire falls out of place. Any suggestion on how to fix this?
What size spare do you have. A modern tire is likely to be too "fat". The too large size spare can be an issue. Either carry a full size spare in the trunk or a small size temporary use spare. If you use the spare in the "conny" it is easy to mar the paint and finish around the kit.

Thunderbird Year
In my 56 I use an older bias ply tire (not inflated) just to keep the continental kit together. I usually do not carry a spare but I do have a a mini spare that I can use on a longer trip. I would hate to have to count on the spare in the continental kit - what a pain to take apart and put back together.