1956 'Bird battery

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
T
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Any fellow '56 owners have a say on what optional battery works for their 'Birds?

I wonder how long it will be before somebody starts making "Repro" looking AGM batteries for these cars.

My 64 Bird recently had a battery that was headed south, so I pulled into my local Batteries Plus Bulbs and asked for their best AGM style. No, it does not look original in terms of Ford Autolite or whatever the heck it came with, But in my case I want products that WORK first and LOOK GOOD second. Headlights -- halogen. Ignition -- Pertronix. Radio, well, okay, this is a natural because that's what I do, but here goes -- AM/FM Stereo with Bluetooth, USB, Line Outs for amp and subwoofer, and HD Radio, all built into a 1965 AM/FM set (yes, mine's a 64). But my car's a long shot from concours, so I don't care too much except I want the car to look somewhat original.

A few years ago I attended an AACA meeting at a public library. We finished the meeting, went outside as the library closed and locked their doors. One member with a 56 T-Bird got in his car to start it -- and BANG! Next thing you know, acid flowing all over the parking lot! Go ahead and bang on the doors, you won't get anyone inside to answer. I live close by, so I jumped in my car, went home, and filled up some empty water bottles (I have a water cooler at home). Brought them back, spread water onto the car and the parking lot to help dilute the acid, as they waited for a tow truck.

Don't get me wrong; if you want to keep your car concours, that's fine, but I will never again buy another bucket of acid when we now have another battery that's so much better. Like I said, I think a repro looking AGM battery would be a hit.

Any fellow '56 owners have a say on what optional battery works for their 'Birds?
I put a napa battery in m,y 56 T bird . it was reasonable and it fit, not size wise but it works. you could spend hundreds on a battery that looks original with less power but it fits the tray. ??????

Currently, I have a 6 volt Optima battery with a cloaking device in my Thunderbird.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Attachments

• 3769_b787f1626d57749d95ccbfbf286f7a15.jpg
    3769_b787f1626d57749d95ccbfbf286f7a15.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 3770_2f55145271da12ec9fcb09364f30abef.jpg
    3770_2f55145271da12ec9fcb09364f30abef.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 2
What happened to that company which made AGM batterys for collector Vehicles? About 4 or 5 years ago I bought one for my 57 T-bird and another for my 66 Mustang love them they work great and look great. Is that company no longer in business?

Obviously lack of advertising, because this is the first I've heard of it.

Then again, how long have AGM batteries been on the market? They are just now coming down in price to the point where they're competitive with conventional types. Yes, still 2-3 times the price, but compare it with a battery you replace again in 5 years vs. one with a 6-year full-replacement warranty. Recharges in minutes, not hours, no water, flip it upside down if you wish, contains considerably less acid.

They contain no acid - water - or any other liquid. That is one of the things I really like about them. They really make the engine compartment look good, plus no corrosion around the terminals. As I remember they cost about $300.00 but are exact replicas

Please let us know how long it takes for them to make a battery for you. Jim's Battery used to be called Antique Auto Battery Co. and they went out of business sometime last year.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Back