1956 Automatic Transmission Fluid

MRansom
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
i believe original fluid is type A & that type F is an acceptable, if not improved, replacement - confirmed?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

You are absolutely right, type F transmission fluid is the replacement for type A transmission fluid.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Is type F transmission fluid still the best replacement for type A transmission fluid that was originally used in the vehicle?

Is type F transmission fluid still the best replacement for type A transmission fluid that was originally used in the vehicle?
@jay089- when you were typing the subject for the new thread you just posted, a similar thread that had the exact same title, that already answered your question was suggested. Instead of posting a new thread, go read the existing thread that answers your question. I have merged your post with the previous one.

Most common questions have already been posted years ago, so you can use the search page to find answers to commonly asked questions.

automatic-transmission-fluid.jpg

Type F is really not the replacement for Type A despite what others have said. The closest to Type A is Dexron.Mercon. A lot depends on whether the trans has ever been rebuilt and what parts were used in the rebuild.

Type F is really not the replacement for Type A despite what others have said. The closest to Type A is Dexron.Mercon. A lot depends on whether the trans has ever been rebuilt and what parts were used in the rebuild.
I'll stick with type F. No issues whatsoever.

So everyone understands the evolution of automatic transmission fluid, the article below should clear things up. Keep in mind that this is an older article and that automatic transmission fluid has evolved even further since it was written.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Transmission Fluid - 1.jpg
Transmission Fluid - 5.jpg
View attachment 22727

Here is the article.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
Transmission Fluid.jpg

When I inherited my 55, which has been in the family for 50 years, it included a box of misc. supplies, including an unopened bottle of Type F transmission fluid. Not a replacement for Type A? Of course, there are better choices than either A/F.

Back