1955 Will a 6V solenoid operate safely on 12 volts?

Benjami
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
10 years ago we converted from 6V to 12V. At that time, I was told the 6 volt starter was likely not worth much so run with it until it stops. Still going today, though I probably just jinxed it.

Our Bird is a manual so we have an overdrive. The solenoid in place now is still a 6 volt. Most of the time I drive with overdrive locked out.

As it appears all we are dealing with is a magnetic field in the solenoid, can a 6V solenoid operate safely, and for some period of time, on 12 volts?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

1955 Thunderbird overdrive title changed to "1955 Will a 6V solenoid operate safely on 12 volts?" Which summarizes your post.
model-year-TBF.jpg

The biggest difference in solenoids or relays that operate on 6 or 12v in the internal resistance of the coil that creates the electromagnetic field that operates the mechanism. So a solenoid designed to operate a 6v would have twice the amount of current running through it at 12v. Without knowing the resistance I wouldn't be able to say if it were safe or not. To much current and you start to generate heat, in the coils of the solenoid and in the wiring that supports it. You could put an ammeter in series with them and measure the current.
Take care
Ed

Put a resister in line to cut the voltage down to 6 volts from 12 volts and roll on.

Voltage is additive in a series circuit and current is constant, a resistor will drop the voltage but the current will be the same across the coil.
If the relay has been operating for tens years it will probably go another ten

10 years ago we converted from 6V to 12V. At that time, I was told the 6 volt starter was likely not worth much so run with it until it stops. Still going today, though I probably just jinxed it.

Our Bird is a manual so we have an overdrive. The solenoid in place now is still a 6 volt. Most of the time I drive with overdrive locked out.

As it appears all we are dealing with is a magnetic field in the solenoid, can a 6V solenoid operate safely, and for some period of time, on 12 volts?
NO get 12 volts Not a good idea

Back