1955 tires & wheels maximum size

jimvan47

jimvan47

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I am wondering if anybody put a 16" or 17" wheel and tire on a 1955 and what is the maximum size they know will fit? I do understand backspacing and offset are critical. Dennis on another site gave me a 15" American Racing 5-spoke wheel that fits but does anybody know of a 16 or 17" specific 5-spoke that will fit. I am not a mechanical guy, just an old retired hospice RN that loves classics. Thank you.

I'm running 16"x 7" Ford Crown Vic wheels. The one question to ask is skirts or not. I can't run skirts with this combination.
17" should fit as well you might just need to adjust the aspect ratio....say 17" x 55 as opposed to 16" x 60 or 15" x 70 to keep the overall height similar.
I'm sure someone on the forum can provide a more precise answer to exact combinations.

I'm running 16"x 7" Ford Crown Vic wheels. The one question to ask is skirts or not. I can't run skirts with this combination.
17" should fit as well you might just need to adjust the aspect ratio....say 17" x 55 as opposed to 16" x 60 or 15" x 70 to keep the overall height similar.
I'm sure someone on the forum can provide a more precise answer to exact combinations.
THANK YOU. Any range of years for Crown Vic or any Crown Vic year? I have removed my skirts and just want to put on 5-spoke shiny for a different look. and keep the OEM as the second set. Any thoughts about maximum "safe" tread mm? Is 225 safe or better to be super safe with 205?

I’m not sure of the years - hit the salvage yard and got what they had - early 90’s? I’m running 225/55r16 in the front and 235/60r16 in the rear. I did this in an effort to lower the front along with cutting about 3/4 of a coil off the front springs.2D851388-2F85-44C7-B36A-1C64B628D902.jpeg07984166-42AC-4383-830F-80D36EB294FC.jpeg

I’m not sure of the years - hit the salvage yard and got what they had - early 90’s? I’m running 225/55r16 in the front and 235/60r16 in the rear. I did this in an effort to lower the front along with cutting about 3/4 of a coil off the front springs.

PS I also had to space the front rims out ~3/8” to clear my brake calipers. I’m using ‘99 Mustang discs all around. The original 15”wheels would not clear this setup. Other discs might.

PS I also had to space the front rims out ~3/8” to clear my brake calipers. I’m using ‘99 Mustang discs all around. The original 15”wheels would not clear this setup. Other discs might.
THANK YOU. You da man. I had no idea changing wheels would be so complicated. I have also learned most wheel retailers have no clue what will fit the early birds. I do still have OEM drums all around.

Happened to be under the Bird yesterday. The 3/8” wheel spacer in the front was necessary to clear the upper control arm not the brake caliper. But again I’m running a Lincoln disc/mustang caliper setup and with drums this might be different. In the rear you might be able to get another inch of rim inboard.

Back