1955 Power Brakes Master Cylinder

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
R

Rockman5159

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have a 1955 Ford Thunderbird with Power brakes. The brakes are very poor ,ive had booster reuilt with little or no change. I have tried finding a master cylinder for a 1955 with power brakes,but everyone is showing one WITHOUT ppower brakes. Does anyone make a new aftermarket MC for a Tbird WITH power brakes? thanks in advance for your help

I dont believe any came factory with power brakes.

Ford did not have a Master cylinder with a booster. T bird's have the master cylinder mounted on rear firewall and the P.B. Booster mounted on the left fender well.

First let's clear up some misinformation. The Ford Thunderbird from 1955-57 and the 1955-56 Ford passenger car used the same master cylinder with or without power brakes. Power brakes were available at least as early as 1954 on passenger vehicles and YES the Thunderbird for 1955 was available with power brakes, power steering, power windows and power seats. The brake booster used on the passenger cars prior to 1957 and all three years of the 2 seater thunderbird was a remote booster made by Midland and it was mounted on the inner left fender of the car. I hard line ran from the master cylinder to the booster then there was a rubber flex line that ran from the booster to the distribution block on the left front frame. Midland is no longer servicing the power brake units, but they can be rebuilt. A power brake shop in Chino California, purchased the Midland inventory and can overhaul your unit if necessary. The business is Karps Power Brake Service.

You can purchase a new master cylinder or have yours rebuilt with a kit. If you are rebuilding the cylinder, be careful to inspect the bore for pits and damage. The original cylinders can be re-sleeved but the cost is too high if you can get a new unit.

Back