1955 Thunderbird front coil springs?

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
J
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
My car has been in storage for over forty years. How do I tell if I need to replace the front coil springs ? The rear leaf springs definitely need to be replaced as one side has broken leaf. Also where is the best place to purchase these. Thanks for any help !

The front springs are most likely okay. The only way I know to be sure they are good is to remove them, measure and test them for spring force by compressing them. Personally, if I was going to go through the work of removing them I would just replace them. You can get springs (front and rear) from the Thunderbird suppliers or from a "brake and spring" shop (usually associated with trucks).

The front springs are most likely okay. The only way I know to be sure they are good is to remove them, measure and test them for spring force by compressing them. Personally, if I was going to go through the work of removing them I would just replace them. You can get springs (front and rear) from the Thunderbird suppliers or from a "brake and spring" shop (usually associated with trucks).

Thanks Steve for the advice. I’m definitely replacing rear springs (passenger side is has broken leaf and I figure I may have well replace them both. I’ll take your advice on the coil front springs. Does anyone know the “free height measurement “ of them? Do you or anybody out there know of any videos or written links of how to remove and replace both front and rear springs? The engine (and everything else) is out of car. I’m almost at the stage where my 1955 Bird is ready to lift the body off frame ! I’m going to remove everything off the chassis,blast all the parts and replace all the dry rotted rubber bushings,etc.
Thanks, JDJ

I currently have the body off my 1955 t-bird. I bought a rotisserie to do the work on, works great!
It is difficult to mount the body to the rotisserie arms though. I welded brackets on to the inner front fenders and placed the 2" square rottiserie bars through the exhaust pipe ports in the rear panel to mount it! but it works, I can spin the body 360* with ease and sit on my stool to do the hours of welding required to replace all the floors and trunk floor. only way this 73 year old guy can do it!

Attachments

• DSC_0039.JPG
    6.2 MB · Views: 1
  • DSC_0045.JPG
    DSC_0045.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Back