1955 Thunderbird Control Arm Bushing Installation

doug7740

doug7740

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I am about to install the upper and lower control arm bushings on a 1955 Thunderbird that we are restoring. The old bushings have been removed and the control arms have been sand blasted and painted. Before I press the new bushings into the control arms, does anyone have any tips or precautions that I should know about?

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I am about to install the upper and lower control arm bushings on a 1955 Thunderbird that we are restoring. The old bushings have been removed and the control arms have been sand blasted and painted. Before I press the new bushings into the control arms, does anyone have any tips or precautions that I should know about?

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
Doug.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
Doug,
I’ve recently done mine both upper and lower. First of all it’s best to have a helper with patience to help you hold the arms while you “press” in the bushings. Especially lowers because of the size of them. The upper bushings press from outside to inside and the lowers press from inside to outside. Look at the new bushings and notice on the metal shoulder there are little “bump outs” (they are stops) that go around the shoulder to STOP THE BUSHINGS FROM BEING PRESSED IN TOO FAR ! I learned the hard way to go slow and NOT PRESS PAST THESE STOPS.
I found a pipe nipple at Lowe’s that fits PERFECTLY OVER THE RUBBER BUSHINGS AND RESTS ON THE FLANGE OF THE BUSHINGS. This allows you to hammer them in ( I used a short handle 2 pound sledge) without bending the flange. Also I had powder coated my control arms and would advise you to sand off the powder coating in the holes just enough to remove coating so the bushings will go in !! You can use a little WD to help lubricate metal but they don’t require grease.
The uppers went together harder and I took them to a local garage (I didn’t own a press) . They require that the pusher sleeve again fits tightly over the rubber and doesn’t push them in crooked and like lowers NOT PAST THE STOPS!
I’m not near my car but could send you photos later tonight that shows the direction of the CONTROL ARM SHAFT
AS ITS IMPORTANT TO PUT THE LONG END OF THE SHAFT TOWARDS THE REAR OF THE CAR !!! I BELIEVE THIS IS CORRECT BUT I WILL LOOK AT MINE TONIGHT. ALSO I BELIEVE THE REAR BUSHING GOES ON SHAFT THEN SLIDE THE SHAFT INTO THE CONTROL ARM AND PRESS IN THE FRONT BUSHING.
BEFORE YOU DO THE UPPERS WAIT FOR ME TO CHECK OR WAIT FOR SOMEONE WITH A BETTER MEMORY TO VERIFY WHAT I TOLD YOU.
IF you want photos let me know. I’ll have to email them as I don’t know how to send photos on the forum.

JDJ

JDJ,

Thank you for the detailed information on how to replace the control arm bushings and what precautions to take . When you get a chance, I would appreciate any photos that you think would help me. My email address is: vwmwrtab@*********

Thank you once again.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Doug, By the way do not tighten the control arms to the frame until you have the engine in the car or you will damage the bushings and the rubber bump stops.

JDJ,

Thanks for the advise, I'll keep it in mind when I install the control arms on the frame, but before I get back to the 1955 Thunderbird I have to finish getting the 1960 stainless steel Thunderbird ready for a show in Michigan.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Back