1955 Teapot float level

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
zeroroadkill

zeroroadkill

BlackBird Fly
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Does anyone know the measurement from the float bowl edge to the top of the float when in the upmost position?
If you have the float gauge can you measure the protrusion depth? I believe it’s 1/4” but not sure. Thanks.

Does anyone know the measurement from the float bowl edge to the top of the float when in the upmost position?
If you have the float gauge can you measure the protrusion depth? I believe it’s 1/4” but not sure. Thanks.
You are correct it's 1/4" from the top of the float to the top of the float bowl.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Float.jpg

Ok I made a gauge and found the float a tad high, maybe 1/32-1/16” at best. I replaced the economizer diaphragm and for giggles the spark valve while I was there (which wasn’t very tight). Can’t think that little bit of float height would lead to boil-over or flooding??? Tested fuel needle and seat (electric fuel pump made this ez) and it stops fuel flow as designed. Fuel bowl looks clean. I also heat wrapped the engine fuel lines. More driving required!

Ok I made a gauge and found the float a tad high, maybe 1/32-1/16” at best. I replaced the economizer diaphragm and for giggles the spark valve while I was there (which wasn’t very tight). Can’t think that little bit of float height would lead to boil-over or flooding??? Tested fuel needle and seat (electric fuel pump made this ez) and it stops fuel flow as designed. Fuel bowl looks clean. I also heat wrapped the engine fuel lines. More driving required!
Just make sure you have the proper carb gasket as an insulator to prevent boil out at rest after a run.

I looked and its about 4 stacked gaskets.

In 1955 a stack of five thick gaskets were used.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

gasket 1.png

gasket 2.jpg

gasket 3.jpg

gasket 4.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Doug. It looks like the gasket stack is not original. I tried to use a plastic spacer but it was too thick and the bolts weren’t long enough. I just ordered form C&G the FOMOCO gasket $4.99 + $8.04 shipping ?

Last edited:
Experts suggest spraying the gasket with silicone before installation to keep it from sticking to the manifold and carburetor base in case you have to remove the carburetor again. Any thoughts on this?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never sprayed anything on the carburetor base gaskets, I just stack them on dry. I have removed my carburetor twice in the last 10 years, once when I removed the engine and transmission and once to rebuild the carburetor and the base gaskets have never stuck to the carburetor or the manifold. Remember, you always have to replace the base gaskets anytime the carburetor is removed.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 4
Back