1955 Tbird voltage regulator wiring

David Levitt

David Levitt

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Need help! My '55 TBird No longer charges when driving. I am almost sure it is the generator, but I tried replacing the voltage regulator. However, because of my general incompetence, I am not sure that I connected the external wiring correctly to the regulator. Would greatly appreciate it if someone could send me a photo of a '55 voltage regulator that shows the wire colors and connections.

Armature Terminal - Large yellow/black wire from the generator and a small yellow/black wire from the charge indicator light.

Field Terminal – Small black/white wire coming from the generator.

Battery Terminal – Large yellow wires coming from the starter relay and horn relay.

Ground - Black/red wire coming from the generator.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Attachments

• IMG_3208.jpg
    IMG_3208.jpg
    578.2 KB · Views: 9
Doug, Thanks so much. Unfortunately, the only wiring I am confused about is how to connect what, I think, is the capacitor (see my attached photo) which, apparently, you do not have. I have connected the black wire from capacitor to the armature terminal. Not sure if that is correct. Do you think it is?

Attachments

• Voltage regulator.jpeg
    Voltage regulator.jpeg
    537.7 KB · Views: 12
David,

A large static capacitor was installed on the generator armature stud and a small static capacitor was installed at the voltage regulator, armature terminal.

I don't know if it was an option, but my Thunderbird does not have any radio static capacitors.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Attachments

• Voltage Regulator with Static Capacitor.pdf
    260.5 KB · Views: 12
Doug,
That's perfect. Looks like I have it correct.
Cannot thank you enough for taking the trouble to help me. Although I thought I had it correct, I had this nagging worry that I may have screwed it up.

Now I just need to find a replacement generator. I just discovered this wonderful site. I am going to post a wanted notice in the "Parts for Sale/Wanted" section.

David

You might think about just replacing the armature brushes & or springs instead of replacing the whole generator. A very easy fix there really isn't much else that could go wrong.

My problem is that I do not feel confident to do it myself. I would just like to bring a replacement generator or alternator to my mechanic and have it done in a day.

My problem is that I do not feel confident to do it myself. I would just like to bring a replacement generator or alternator to my mechanic and have it done in a day.
Concours and Larry's have rebuilt generators for about $160 with at least a $100 core charge. a rebuild kit is about $35.

David,

I agree with Ward 57, replacing the armature brushes and springs is not difficult at all. Referring to the attached generator disassembled illustration, you are only dealing with the brush end plate group.

After you remove the generator end plate, look at the brushes. Are the brushes the same length? If not the springs may not be equal in strength. Are the brush faces square to the sides? They should be unless a brush got hung up in a holder.

(See the attached picture of the old brushes and new brush from my generator)​

When replacing the brushes, remove any rust or corrosion from the end plate and make sure the new brushes work freely in the holders.

(See the attached picture of the new brushes and springs installed)​

I usually do not dress the commutator unless it’s scored. It’s not necessary to polish a commutator just for cleanliness. A dirty copper color, as on an old penny, is conductive. Leave well enough alone.

If the commutator is scored, use fine sand paper in the shape of a strap to remove scratches. Polish the copper smooth. Do not use steel wool or emery cloth; a conductive particle can short out adjacent segments. Now closely look at the mica spacers between the segments. They should be slightly below the surface of the segments. If not, scrape the mica surface until it is 1/32” below the copper surface. I use a hacksaw blade to undercut the mica.

(See the attached commutator picture)​
doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Attachments

• Commutator.JPG
    Commutator.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
  • Generator Brushes.JPG
    Generator Brushes.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
  • Generator Disassembled.pdf
    276.9 KB · Views: 0
  • New Brushes and Springs Installed.JPG
    New Brushes and Springs Installed.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 2
Thanks to both of you for the advice. I am sure you are right. However, because of my incompetence, I just ordered a PowerGen alternator that replaces the generator. I am hoping my mechanic can replace it after it arrives.

The generator rebuild kit I purchased was not exactly correct for my vehicle ('56), and I had to modify or reuse a few components. It's been a while, and my memory isn't what it once was, but I believe the mounting hole for the connection on the brushes was too small. There was another problem, as well. Whatever it was, it worked when reinstalled. I'll have to look for the supplier. It was likely Mac's. Since they have so many vehicles they supply, I've found they are less reliable regarding sending the correct part, at times.

Need help! My '55 TBird No longer charges when driving. I am almost sure it is the generator, but I tried replacing the voltage regulator. However, because of my general incompetence, I am not sure that I connected the external wiring correctly to the regulator. Would greatly appreciate it if someone could send me a photo of a '55 voltage regulator that shows the wire colors and connections.

I f you buy a Votage Regulator at NAPA orAdvance Auto for a 56 they only have 6 Volts Volage Regulator They show 56 T-Bird 6 Volts which is wrong. Check this out. I had this problem with them.

Back