1955 Tbird gauge cluster

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
icarch
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I’ve slowly been getting my 55 Tbird up to reliable road status. I have a rebuilt engine and transmission so far.
The odometer on my car doesn’t work. Can anyone provide directions on the best way to remove the cluster and restore it. I’ve read all sorts of articles that say remove the seat so you can get up under the dash, remove the steering wheel for easier access. I don’t have a car buddy to help me do any these projects so bullet points on how to do this myself would be appreciated. I’m 65 so not as flexible these days to contort on the floorboard. Good news, runs great. Thanks

I’ve slowly been getting my 55 Tbird up to reliable road status. I have a rebuilt engine and transmission so far.
The odometer on my car doesn’t work. Can anyone provide directions on the best way to remove the cluster and restore it. I’ve read all sorts of articles that say remove the seat so you can get up under the dash, remove the steering wheel for easier access. I don’t have a car buddy to help me do any these projects so bullet points on how to do this myself would be appreciated. I’m 65 so not as flexible these days to contort on the floorboard. Good news, runs great. Thanks
If you remove the tachometer and the clock in the other pod you can then reach through the two holes and conveniently remove the speedometer. None of them require removal of the seat and do not require a second party.

The instrument cluster is held in place by four clips behind the dash. These clips are attached to the instrument cluster studs using nuts and lock washers. On the upper right stud, the ground wire for the instrument cluster is also attached.
If you are flexible you can squirm under the dash from the driver’s door. If this becomes too painful, the seat can be easily removed to allow more comfortable access. Although it is not necessary, you can also remove the steering wheel to gain the necessary clearance when removing the instrument cluster from the dash. If the steering wheel is not removed, you can use the telescopic feature to gain 3 additional inches of clearance.

Before the instrument cluster can be removed, you must disconnect the speedometer cable by the fluted nut that attaches the cable housing to the speedometer head. You will also have to remove the wires that are connected to the fuel and temperature gauges. It would be a good idea to label these wires as you remove them. Next, remove all of the light bulbs that are in the instrument cluster. These bulbs just push in the instrument cluster and are held in place by their sockets.
I would suggest that you label the bulbs as you remove them from the instrument cluster.

I hope this information helps.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Have you verified that the cable and drive gear are intact?

Looking for a working odometer for my 55 TBird. Anyone have one for sail?

What is wrong with the one you have? They really aren't very difficult to repair.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
Odometer.JPGSpeedometer.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
What is wrong with the one you have? They really aren't very difficult to repair.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
The wheel

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
The wheel that drivers the odemeter has 4 ears that hook to the numbers all four of those ears are broken I've purchased a odometer from someone here in Dallas that claimed it was the right one but it wasn't doesn't line up with these little looking Glass on the front of the cluster and I bought another one from somebody online and it doesn't work properly either I was taking them both to a speedometer shop and they cannot fix them so I'm looking for another.

Did the four ears or protrusions break off of the drive gear when you were taking it apart?

When I purchased my Thunderbird is stated on the title that the odometer exceeded mechanical limits, so I decided to reset the odometer to reflect the mileage that I put on the car after seven years of ownership. I remember having to carefully pry the drive gear from side to side to avoid breaking the protrusions. As you can see by the attached pictures, you have to have patience to line up the locking tabs while you synchronize the gears with the number wheels of the odometer. If you get it out of sync, the numbers will not line up with the window in the front of the cluster. It is kind of trial and error before you can get everything to line up. It took my three tries before I got it right.

So what I’m saying is that it’s possible that the two odometers that you purchased are correct and it takes a lot of patience to get everything to line up properly.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
Odometer Wheels and Switching Gear.JPGOdometer Wheels.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Did the four ears or protrusions break off of the drive gear when you were taking it apart?

When I purchased my Thunderbird is stated on the title that the odometer exceeded mechanical limits, so I decided to reset the odometer to reflect the mileage that I put on the car after seven years of ownership. I remember having to carefully pry the drive gear from side to side to avoid breaking the protrusions. As you can see by the attached pictures, you have to have patience to line up the locking tabs while you synchronize the gears with the number wheels of the odometer. If you get it out of sync, the numbers will not line up with the window in the front of the cluster. It is kind of trial and error before you can get everything to line up. It took my three tries before I got it right.

So what I’m saying is that it’s possible that the two odometers that you purchased are correct and it takes a lot of patience to get everything to line up properly.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
The four ears were broken while I was in the car and that was the reason why would my original odometer wasn't working

If you remove the tachometer and the clock in the other pod you can then reach through the two holes and conveniently remove the speedometer. None of them require removal of the seat and do not require a second party.
What size socket is used to take the cluster out 5/16 or 3/8?

It is not the easiest task, however it is doable. I have had my cluster off and on several times during my restoration. The best way is to remove the clock, and the tack the reach in through those holes and remove the retainer bolts and brackets. To reassemble just reverse the procedure!
good luck

Back