1955 t bird paint

L

limlivie

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Where do I find 55 t bird paint original color and recommendation for a paint shop in western Montana ? The auto body shops I've found in Kalispell are not too interested in painting " old " cars. . I am also suffering sticker shock from the ballpark quotes.
A little help with recommendations and a reality check about cost would be appreciated.
Lim

Last edited by a moderator:
Where do I find 55 t bird paint original color and recommendation for a paint shop in western Montana ? The auto body shops I've found in Kalispell are not too interested in painting " old " cars. . I am also suffering sticker shock from the ballpark quotes.

Lim
There are five colors for 1955 Thunderbirds. finding a shop to paint an entire cr in these times is difficult. The shop want insurance work that pays well and has fast turnover. I wish you good luck.

If you have the color code off your data plate, you should be able to find a auto body supply house that will mix that color for you - it will not be the exact same color because the paints are different today, but it should be very close. Also, from what I have seen, most cars are being painted base coat - clear coat. I don't know what you asked the body shops to do but they may be hesitant because of required body work and the removal of the trim pieces. Have you asked other classic car or hot rod owners in your area for a shop recommendation? I am quite sure that somebody out there is painting old cars.
Good Luck,

Where do I find 55 t bird paint original color?
Lim
On the second line of the car’s data plate you will find the body color. It is right after the body type 40A.

The colors are as follows:

A = Raven Black
E = Snowshoe White
R = Torch Red
T = Thunderbird Blue
V = Goldenrod Yellow

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Paint ain't cheap. I have a 61 Metropolitan. Small car. The paint (not including primer) and reducers and hardeners cost close to $1600.00 8 years ago!

A little help with recommendations and a reality check about cost would be appreciated.
Lim
NAPA if they mix paint some stores don't mix paint, they matched and mixed 20 years ago here in North West Indiana for my 55

NAPA if they mix paint some stores don't mix paint, they matched and mixed 20 years ago here in North West Indiana for my 55
Also go to some swap meets, car shows, or cruse nights and ask around. There may be a guy there that paints cars on the side. maybe a needle in a hay stack but you may get lucky. Good luck with the search.

Find your painter first. The painter may or should have formulas for your color. I do point out that if you go to a Thunderbird Concours event with a fiest red car for example and there are ten cars you will see ten different colors.

Back