1955 steering gear box replacement or rebuild?

R

radar

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I have to replace, refurbish, rebuild my 1955 TBird steering box.
The worm gear is worn and the bearings and bushings need to be replaced.
Looking for any and all information, advice, guidance, or direction anyone can give.
Thanks

Look up Redhead, they rebuild steering boxes and are in the greater Seattle area. You will probably have to send them yours to be rebuilt.

Redhead rebuilt my 55 box. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again. Make sure you insure it for actual value before you ship. Replacement parts are available, but the complete assembly is not being reproduced.

I use Straight Line Steering in San Jose CA to do my boxes. Good service and fair prices.

You may wish to investigate other models within a few years either side of 55. Ford used parts across many products. There may be an off the shelf item at O'Reiley, et. al.

Straight Line on San Jose. They rock.

I agree. I have used Straight Line Steering on several boxes, Highly recommended.

Thanks, all.
I actually used prestige thunderbird and bought a rebuilt box, returned my old one for core charge

I am sure that Prestige does a great job. but they are probably sending it out to someone. There may be some price advantage from going direct. But either method works!

After installing new steering box do you adjust the steering box with weight on or off the front wheels

I do all of my adjusting with the wheels on the ground and at full lock. Either side. The reason why is because all of the wear is in the straight ahead position, but taking all the slack out will make it too tight once you have turned out of the wear zone. If you can't get satisfactory steering with this method the box needs a rebuild.

Since you have a 1955 Thunderbird, maybe this article I wrote will help.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Attachments

• Tech Tip - 1955 Steering Box Adjustment.pdf
    181.2 KB · Views: 10
Back