1955 starter runs when ignition is off

Dick Rupp

Dick Rupp

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Starter sometimes continues running even when I turn the ignition switch off. I have to disconnect the battery to stop it.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Updated title from 1955 Tbird starter to 1955 starter runs when ignition is off. Good titles get more responses.
modelyear.jpg

sounds like your starter solenoid is sticking,
they are relatively inexpensive. may want to replace it.
I carry a spare in the trunk.
they are notorious for failing. usually it is a no start

The cause the starter continuously running could be either the starter solenoid or the ignition switch. The next time it happens, I would remove the red wire with the blue band from the starter solenoid. If the starter stops running than the ignition switch is the cause, but if the starter continues to run with the red wire with the blue band removed from the solenoid, then the solenoid is the cause.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

could be the solenoid stuck like was said, or the bendix spring is broken and starter stays engaged with the flywheel gear. either way, spinning the starter at 6,000 RPM because of being engaged to the ring gear, you may want to replace the starter also.

Back