1955 Soft top operation question

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Just purchased a clean 55 with a soft top that's in great shape. I've ordered an owner's manual just waiting for it to show up. I'm struggling with how to lower the top and store it behind the seats. I've unlatched the latches on the windshield, the ones next to the door and rear bullet latches. I've looked everywhere on the internet and there are no videos or pictures on how to collapse the top and fold it down behind the seats. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Here is link from another member in case you dint get a response There are instructions in the owner's manual and online. But here are a couple of things to start. Definitely, get a helper! The one thing I tend to forget is release the frame hinges behind the driver and passenger's heads. Put the seat as far forward as it can go so the top doesn't damage it while folding into place. I unzip the window completely so it doesn't crease too much while stored. Disengage all of the clamps. Lift the top up off the windshield first and get that folded down. Then pick the frame up off the deck squeezing everything together and flop it up and over into place. It's a very tight squeeze between the door welting so be very cautious.

Is taking it off the back deck what releases the hinges? When i try and fold it down without taking it off the back deck the hinges only fold slightly?

When you release those hinges, they will only bend a small amount. I believe you're right. When you lift off the deck, those hinges will collapse further

Even though the clamps are "undone" the j hooks will keep catching which will stop you from moving the top where you want.
Once you do get the top folded into place, be sure you get the J hooks down as far as they'll go or they'll hit the cardboard seat back.

Just purchased a clean 55 with a soft top that's in great shape. I've ordered an owner's manual just waiting for it to show up. I'm struggling with how to lower the top and store it behind the seats. I've unlatched the latches on the windshield, the ones next to the door and rear bullet latches. I've looked everywhere on the internet and there are no videos or pictures on how to collapse the top and fold it down behind the seats. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

This should get you started. Not my car or video.

Thank you - that helps. For some reason, I couldn't find that video. I was getting stuck collapsing the top which from the video they did too as it seemed to get stuck. I just didn't want to bend or break anything. Thanks again all!

Last edited by a moderator:
ALWAYS open both doors when swinging the seat forward. If you don't, the seat drags past the armrests. Once or twice is OK, but after years it will damage the seat and the armrests. ALSO.. I use material that is flexible, kind of like the flexible cutting boards, very thin, and place it between the top & the rear opening of the door. This is so when you squeeze the top in behind the seat (the seat is wider than the opening) you will protect the top from damage. Try locking the rear clips down first & then try locking the forward clips first. You will see a difference & know which is easier. The video didn't show it, but you should lock that curtain to the snaps (if you still have them). Best of luck!

I just bought a beautiful 1957. It has the soft top without the swing arm. Does anyone have the parts list to add the swing arm assembly? Thx in advance.

I have a '57 that does not have the swing arm. It is much easier to store the top in the trunk than to store it behind the seat. I will leave the top at home or fold it back on the trunk. I have a '57 with the swing arm. It is more original, but no one can tell with the soft top "down". ALSO, read my note above about the sheet to use so you don't damage the top as it is placed behind the seat. Enjoy that '57!

I just bought a beautiful 1957. It has the soft top without the swing arm. Does anyone have the parts list to add the swing arm assembly? Thx in advance.
Get a hold of CASCO, Hill's or Prestige to get a swing arm. They are not reproduced but these companies have used parts Another good source is Adrian Lori 570-709-0823 who has a large stock of 57 parts.

Back