1955, is this the correct alternator to order?

photoguy

photoguy

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Evening.

Just purchased my 1955 a couple days ago, the real fun now begins. Would like to replace the alternator, the original has some obvious differences (like size), than this one from Larry’s? My 55‘ is still 6V.

Is this the correct replacement?

Also, would like to order a service manual, is the reprint of the original the best?

Thank you!

Attachments

• 94FF8F2A-17FD-464B-87A2-F9EB29F8D743.jpeg
    94FF8F2A-17FD-464B-87A2-F9EB29F8D743.jpeg
    856 KB · Views: 8
  • A5E1C263-61FE-4D13-A33B-E482FC15E8C1.jpeg
    A5E1C263-61FE-4D13-A33B-E482FC15E8C1.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 8
Evening.

Just purchased my 1955 a couple days ago, the real fun now begins. Would like to replace the alternator, the original has some obvious differences (like size), than this one from Larry’s? My 55‘ is still 6V.

Also, would like to order a service manual, is the reprint of the original the best?

Thank you!
I am not quite understanding what you mean by replacing the alternator. The as installed picture appears to be an original generator. generator and alternator perform much the same function by in a slightly different manner. Unless I did not correctly identify you having a generator then you are changing from generator to alternator. Replacing item in right photo with item in left photo, they are not interchangeable without purchasing or constructing a new mounting bracket for the alternator in left hand photo. Additionally the alternator will require new mounting bracket(s) and voltage regulator as well as a pulley that will be able to align with your other pulleys. I made the swap on my 12v '57 and it was not difficult even though I made my own mounting attached a regulator and sourced a pulley.

I am not quite understanding what you mean by replacing the alternator. The as installed picture appears to be an original generator. generator and alternator perform much the same function by in a slightly different manner. Unless I did not correctly identify you having a generator then you are changing from generator to alternator. Replacing item in right photo with item in left photo, they are not interchangeable without purchasing or constructing a new mounting bracket for the alternator in left hand photo. Additionally the alternator will require new mounting bracket(s) and voltage regulator as well as a pulley that will be able to align with your other pulleys. I made the swap on my 12v '57 and it was not difficult even though I made my own mounting attached a regulator and sourced a pulley.
I actually thought I deleted this thread, because I realized my mistake. In researching further, I discovered this is a generator I want to replace. And I did find the correct part number. Sorry for my ignorance, I’m comfortable working on my modern cars, have a bit of learning on this classic. I have so many question. I was expecting to find many vids for the car on YouTube, unfortunately I’m finding not many.

Thank you

Is your car still 6 volt or has it been converted to 12 volt?

Is your car still 6 volt or has it been converted to 12 volt?
It’s a 6V. I just found a local generator shop, who can rebuild it, suppose this is the best route? Researching the forum, someone purchased the PowerGen 6volt generator that looks like a traditional alternator. Not sure if that’s a simple swap or if modification is needed?

As I mentioned earlier, I’m just a bit frustrated, because l’m ignorant when comes to these classics, it’s like starting from scratch, ordering a service manual tonight.

Thanks

Have your generator tested, you may need to replace the regulator instead.

Have your generator tested, you may need to replace the regulator instead.
I just ordered a bunch of parts from NPD, I did add that to the list. I pretty much researched most of the day, I’m learning more every day.
Your 1962 is pretty sweet! That body style is also my favorite, was checking those out before I settled on my 55.

Thank you!

Thank you for the compliment! My '62 is awaiting a mild restoration, the pictures are not very old but it has been off the road for close to 40 years. I am almost done acquiring parts so I can get started.
A '55 or '56 is on my list to find. These are pretty easy cars to work on, good luck!

Thank you for the compliment! My '62 is awaiting a mild restoration, the pictures are not very old but it has been off the road for close to 40 years. I am almost done acquiring parts so I can get started.
A '55 or '56 is on my list to find. These are pretty easy cars to work on, good luck!
Yeah, I’m addicted already. Fixed the cigarette lighter today (easy). I’m working under the dash rest of the week, til’ my parts arrive (oil & gen light, radio, and dash lights), all this seems fairly straightforward. Just accidentally shattered the map light cover, very brittle.

Evening.

Thank you!
Original was a generator, you are changing that to an alternator so more to it than just a swap

I just ordered a bunch of parts from NPD, I did add that to the list. I pretty much researched most of the day, I’m learning more every day.
Your 1962 is pretty sweet! That body style is also my favorite, was checking those out before I settled on my 55.

Thank you!
I suggest that you consider using the Thunderbird specialty suppliers. From them you can also receive information that is not available from a non-specialty organization like NPD. The specialty suppliers often have access to parts that are not reproduced.

I forgot to mention that the Thunderbird specialty suppliers are the ones who have had reproductions made, not NPD or MAC( which is part of Eckler's Corvette Parts.

Last edited by a moderator:
I forgot to mention that the Thunderbird specialty suppliers are the ones who have had reproductions made, not NPD or MAC( which is part of Eckler's Corvette Parts.
The only ones I know are CASCO and Larry’s, are there others?

Thank you!

Back