1955 Holley newer carburetor and original distributor compatibility

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
John CN
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
My 55, I have been told, has a '57 312 Holley carburetor and intake manifold on the 292 engine. I've was also told the original distributor is not compatible with the carburetor. Also, I would like to know where the red electric choke wire should be connected.
YwOcHEeHQpiheLsL1YrZ4w.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It appears that the distributor is a 1957 distributor.

Interesting. The car seems to run fine (except now I'm needing a fuel pump). I was told the correct distributor has a dual vacuum control. I've seen pictures of those but do not understand the reason for it.

I see no issues with what you have there. Often times the choke wire is hooked up to the coil. This works ok. (That's also how I set up my boat). It just needs to be on a switched power source.

56 only had the dual vacuum source for the vacuum advance. If you are not sure what distributor you have, just remove the cap. If you see springs on top of the points plate than you have a pre57 distributor. If you don't see any springs on top of the points plate than you have a 57 or later unit. With your carb, you should have a 57 or later unit.

Have your fuel pump rebuilt. Don't buy an overseas fuel pump! Also replace the flex hose to the fuel pump and make sure the hose has the correct size hose on it. Some repops have a small line diameter and it causes problems with fuel delivery.

Have your fuel pump rebuilt. Don't buy an overseas fuel pump! Also replace the flex hose to the fuel pump and make sure the hose has the correct size hose on it. Some repops have a small line diameter and it causes problems with fuel delivery.
Thanks. Sending it to Arthur Gould tomorrow! Appreciate the suggestion on the flex hose. I thought it felt too stiff so may break any time.
Btw, nice looking '55 you have and nice garage, too!

Interesting. The car seems to run fine (except now I'm needing a fuel pump). I was told the correct distributor has a dual vacuum control. I've seen pictures of those but do not understand the reason for it.
The 55 distributor has one vacuum control not two as in the 56. If you have a 57 manifold, ie. no adapter between the carburetor and the manifold you have, the later and more modern style Holley carburetor then the 55 distributor would be inappropriate for the vacuum signal for advance. The 57 distributor you appear to have is correct for the carburetor and manifold of a 57 which you also claim to have.

The red wire hook to place that gets fire when ignition is turned on coil bat side check wire does not heat up could use a relay if can't find enough amps. Holleys are better for racing edelbrock better for normal driving my experience holleys need to be run often.

I had the pump rebuilt and it works fine. I had ordered a flex hose from CASCO but, since it was backordered, I found one from an individual.

Back