1955 heater vacuum valve open or closed

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
zeroroadkill

zeroroadkill

BlackBird Fly
Last seen
Viewing thread 1956 hard top window rubber gasket installation
Thunderbird Year
On my ‘55 there is a heater water valve which is controlled by a vacuum valve under the dash on the heater plenum. The vacuum line runs to the windshield wiper motor and tee’s off to the heater vacuum valve which is controlled by the dash heater temperature lever cable. When there is no vacuum to the heater water valve the valve is open letting hot water flow to the heater core. When vacuum is applied the heater water valve closes reducing the flow of hot water to the heater core. Moving the temperature lever to high moves the vacuum valve up which in my case let’s a small vacuum go to the water valve shutting the water valve down and when the temperature lever is put to low this moves the vacuum valve down shutting off the vacuum to the water valve. Backwards!!!
If I slide the temperature lever to high it gets cooler and if I move it to low it gets hotter!!!
What’s going on here??? Is the vacuum valve mounted upside down?

60CAA00A-3B15-4A3D-A460-AF879445CF28.jpeg963D4779-7DCD-4CDA-98E0-C1D6D46B7DAA.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
That sure doesn't look like the heater valve in my '57. I am not entirely sure it is an actual OE part. Does it have a Ford part number?

The vacuum valve is oem. The one under the hood is not. It is an aftermarket valve. The OEM fits on the intake manifold.

The oem fits INTO the intake manifold. The aftermarket is fastened by the heater box. The OEM doesn't look anything like the picture on this article.

Last edited by a moderator:
On my '56, the valve is located on the intake manifold. I noticed that there is vacuum getting to the valve, but no matter where I have the temperature lever, I always have hot air coming in. At idle I have vacuum at the valve with the heater controls set to OFF.Heater Valve_1.jpgHeater Valve_2.jpg The valve looks pretty new, could it be bad? How do they work?

I remember when I replaced mine, which was relocated to the inner fender well by the previous owner, most replacement valves were NO not NC, The valve they used was NO (74603) I found the 74604 NC valve that worked.

Attachments

• E438E9F4-2D7D-45F3-BFD0-A7079FF8CF3A.jpeg
    E438E9F4-2D7D-45F3-BFD0-A7079FF8CF3A.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Back