1955 has 12v to coil all the time.

Tater Salad

Tater Salad

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
While checking a few things before firing new engine, I noticed they're always voltage to coil. I have installed flame thrower coil and pertronix ignition and I wonder if always having voltage is gonna burn out the coil or pertronix. Does anyone know why there's always voltage on the coil side of the starter switch?

you have something wired wrong. You should not have voltage at the coil with the ignition in the off position.

That was my thought to begin with. Keep in mind this was positive ground car. But the continuity is coming from the switch. I was concerned the car wouldn't shut off after started, but it shuts off fine with the switch.

Hope you wired the pertronix correctly just the opposite from points to coil. I almost didn’t do this after wanting to reinstall the original coil. I noticed it was wired backwards. Good thing I called my friend who installed the pertronics, he set me straight! Said if you wire it + to + and -to - as original you will burn out the pertronics! Hope I stated this correctly.

Pertronix is in San Dimas California. They have excellent phone support. M-F business hours. If you have a problem or question, you can give them a call and they will work you through it.

Hope you wired the pertronix correctly just the opposite from points to coil. I almost didn’t do this after wanting to reinstall the original coil. I noticed it was wired backwards. Good thing I called my friend who installed the pertronics, he set me straight! Said if you wire it + to + and -to - as original you will burn out the pertronics! Hope I stated this correctly.
Ive converted to conventional negative ground 12v. Thanks much for your response

Pertronix is in San Dimas California. They have excellent phone support. M-F business hours. If you have a problem or question, you can give them a call and they will work you through it.
Thank you, they've been very helpful on some past projects, figured I would call them tomorrow. Pretty sure they're gonna tell me "it could diminish part life."

Back