1955 Fuel Pump Recommendations

T

Thunderbird Ed

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Unable to locate fuel pump that works have installed three (3) pumps from napa would not pump reinstalled old one worked but leaks.Most books show fuel pumps but when you check if they will fit your car no fit any suggestions helt help ed

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

You will get more responses if you pick a title that summarizes your post. ""1955 ford tb 292/4v/198" doesn't have the word fuel pump in it anywhere.

Mechanical fuel pumps for these cars are sold by all the little bird suppliers. Are you sure you're installing them correctly? The pump arm must be under the front cam lobe to function properly. 20210505_191358.jpg20210505_191412.jpg

There is a current problem with replacement fuel pumps. I am not close enough to my reference right now to be more specific. The ones made in Mexico seem to be better than the ones from China. One has screws and the other doesn't. Hopefully another member of our merry band will have the quick answer as to how to identify which is which. I hope I have not muddied the waters in my attempt to provide a bit of clarity.

There is a current problem with replacement fuel pumps. I am not close enough to my reference right now to be more specific. The ones made in Mexico seem to be better than the ones from China. One has screws and the other doesn't. Hopefully another member of our merry band will have the quick answer as to how to identify which is which. I hope I have not muddied the waters in my attempt to provide a bit of clarity.
I would love to hear or see the difference in these imported parts.

To my knowledge the good ones have hex head fasteners holding the pump body together whereas the bad ones (more prone to problems) have Phillips head screws.
the good one I got I believe came from “Macs T Bird “
I’m sure if you called any of the many good vendors they would be happy to take on out of the box and check for you.

To my knowledge the good ones have hex head fasteners holding the pump body together whereas the bad ones (more prone to problems) have Phillips head screws.
the good one I got I believe came from “Macs T Bird “
I’m sure if you called any of the many good vendors they would be happy to take on out of the box and check for you.
If you have the original pump with the hex bolts it's an easy rebuild. Kits from auto parts stores should be readily available. The re-pop's do not have the screws around the top and cannot be rebuilt.

The defective new fuel pumps are from China. CASCO still does not have a new pump to offer. They are still testing the new pumps and it looks promising, but they are not yet available. They plan on checking with the manufacturer to see how they are coming.

The other option is to purchase one of the rebuilt units that CASCO has to offer. These have been very reliable.

https://www.classictbird.com/Fuel-Pump-Rebuilt-1-Per-car/productinfo/9350R/

https://www.classictbird.com/Fuel-Pump-AC-Rebuilt-1-Per-car/productinfo/9350RAC/

(See the attached fuel pump identification pictures)

Before you remove the fuel pump make sure the engine is set to the top dead center mark on the crank pulley. By doing this the eccentric cam that operates the fuel pump will be on the low side of the cam and the fuel pump will not have much pressure against the operating lever.

(See the attached eccentric cam pictures)

When you install the fuel pump, make sure the fuel pump operating lever is under the eccentric cam and put some assembly lube on the fuel pump operating lever.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird BlueDefective Fuel Pimp From China (Bottom View).JPGDefective Fuel Pimp From China.JPGGood AC Fuel Pump (USA).jpgGood Fuel Pump Has Slotted Screws.jpgFuel Pump Eccentric Cam (Cover Removed).jpgFuel Pump Eccentric Cam.jpg

I suggest contacting Frank at Prestige Thunderbird. Frank is a great guy and extremely helpful and knowledgable. It is my understanding that Prestige is in the process of having fuel pumps made. Additionally I have also been informed that Frank is rebuilding fuel pumps. It has been my experience that he goes the extra mile. He had an exhaust manifold for me and some brake parts for another attendee at the convention drop shipped to us the next day. That is only one example. Another example is sending me gas tank straps and bolts to the Flagstaff convention with another attendee that was coming from near their shop. There is more but that is enough.

After installing a new high output water pump and volute spacer I took my car for a test drive and discovered a seeping fuel pump. Checked with a couple of parts suppliers and learned I have a 4-6 week wait. I did find a couple of Carter fuel pumps. Does anyone know if they are US made still or did they go over to the "dark side" I have no desire to go electric. I try to drive the Bird at least 4-5 days a week .

After installing a new high output water pump and volute spacer I took my car for a test drive and discovered a seeping fuel pump. Checked with a couple of parts suppliers and learned I have a 4-6 week wait. I did find a couple of Carter fuel pumps. Does anyone know if they are US made still or did they go over to the "dark side" I have no desire to go electric. I try to drive the Bird at least 4-5 days a week .
Pull the pump and have it rebuilt. It's almost impossible to find anything new that works. Just put up with the wait and find another project to work on in the meantime. I had mine rebuilt for that reason plus all the new materials can handle methanol and it works better than it has in years. Also it's worth the money to have it done right. Trust me. There is a reason the core charge is high, it's worth it, the originals are becoming hard to find as too many shade tree mechanics throw out the original for a replacement before they confirm the replacement actually works. I found a rebuild kit and had a local shop that specializes in '50s & '60's Fords to rebuild it. Still took a couple of weeks.

Last edited:
I am already on the list for a rebuild. I would do it myself, but I can't find a kit.
I found a kit but my rebuilder said he had to remove and then attach the diaphragms to the actuators and rebuild it from scratch. I think there is a kit supplier 'Then and Now' that found a supplier that already has the diaphragms attached to the actuators. It's been a year so I may be a little foggy. Good move the originals are becoming invaluable and work great as designed.
I conferred with a couple of the major suppliers and found that unless I sent in my original there is a long waiting list to find original cores. Yah, I know weeks.....

Last edited:
CASCO is showing two different rebuilt pumps that they sell. Do the demand; you will have to check to see if they have still have any in stock.

https://www.classictbird.com/Fuel-Pump-Rebuilt-1-Per-car/productinfo/9350R/

https://www.classictbird.com/Fuel-Pump-AC-Rebuilt-1-Per-car/productinfo/9350RAC/

No one is selling a new fuel pump at this time. Currently I am testing a new fuel pump for CASCO and it looks promising, but it is not yet available.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

I dont know if anyone is still monitoring this thread since it is a year old, but thought I would try. I am experiencing the same fuel pump issues that many have reported on my 55. Does anyone know if there are any good rebuilt pumps available yet or if any of the new pumps mentioned above are now available? Also, i located on my shelf an old pump I must have taken off one of my previous cars. It has the hex screws that people report to be pumps that are rebuildable, but it is stamped 4406 which is an airtex model. Does anyone know if this airtex pump is rebuildable. Any comments as to the current state of pumps for the 55 Bird is appreciated.

Did you replace the fuel hose when you installed the pump? I did 3 years ago and went through 4 pumps and none worked. Recently I found that most of the fuel hoses have a 3/32" ID. The hard lines are 5/16". I made my own fuel line (very easy) using 5/16" hose. Now my pump works. Some of these "bad" pumps may not be bad if the fuel hose is undersized.
2022-06-08 18.53.23.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back