1955 exhaust pipe tip replacement

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
To the best of my knowledge, there was no factory exhaust tip for the 1955 Thunderbird. What you may have is an aftermarket item likely sold by one of the auto supply stores that sell accessories. Do a Google search for exhaust tips. I see that Walker Exhaust makes a tip that is similar to the one you have.

It probably had a set screw in the hole in your picture.

It probably had a set screw in the hole in your picture.
True, but you couldn't get to the set screw once installed, unless you disassemble the surround. could be held in by the rubberized hangers inside. I'm sure they are just auto parts store extensions.

CASCO Sells the extension pipes for $22.90 each.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Exhaust Extension.jpg

Exhaust Extension 2.jpg

IMG-7177.jpg

IMG-7180.jpg

IMG-7181.jpg

True, but you couldn't get to the set screw once installed, unless you disassemble the surround. could be held in by the rubberized hangers inside. I'm sure they are just auto parts store extensions.
For my '55 I got a pair of those chrome extensions about 5 inches long in the right size to just slide over the existing exhaust pipes. Removed the bumper guard from the bumper, slid the new extension piece inside it and attached the front end of the extension to part # 5261A with a couple short pieces of stainless steel wire. Then reinstalled the bumper guards.

Attachments

• '55 bumper exhaust.jpg
    '55 bumper exhaust.jpg
    709.5 KB · Views: 7
  • exhaust tips before & after.jpg
    exhaust tips before & after.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
  • tail pipes.jpg
    tail pipes.jpg
    778.5 KB · Views: 6
The tip of my exhaust pipe came off on one sideView attachment 27653View attachment 27654View attachment 27655. How do I reattach it??
Hello, I have the same exhaust tips as yours. One did vibrate loose a few years ago. here’s what I did…..on the inside end (opposite your hand in your photo) simply make two hacksaw cuts about 3/8” +/- deep and about 1/4” apart. Your just making a small tab. Then bend the tab back into the pipe almost but not quite flat. Slide it back onto the exhaust pipe. You may have to tap it into place or use a rubber mallet because of the tab until the desired depth is reached. That’s it. The tab will act as a barb to hold it in place.

Attachments

• D7AE04DE-5183-4A32-B778-46509DB6AFF8.jpeg
    D7AE04DE-5183-4A32-B778-46509DB6AFF8.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 7
Back