1955- Adding spacer, 6 blade fan or smaller pulley for better cooling

zeroroadkill

zeroroadkill

BlackBird Fly
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Does a fan spacer (moving the stock fan closer to the radiator) with the stock shroud help draw more air through the radiator?
Does a 6 blade fan help and is it noisy?
Would a smaller pump pully help by spinning the water pump faster?

Thanks

Does a fan spacer (moving the stock fan closer to the radiator) with the stock shroud help draw more air through the radiator?

Thanks
I can't help with the water pump pulley, but I do run a 6 bladed fan and I don't find it noisy. The biggest improvement to cooling I made was having a bigger core put in the radiator. Mine looked in good condition, but when it was inspected it was found that only a third of it was working. Since I had it re-cored I never have to switch on my electric back up fan (which was also a great help when in a traffic queue). If your radiator is old and stock it would benefit your cooling having it upgraded.

I installed an aluminum radiator and a six bladed fan in my 57 Thunderbird. The fan in-and-of itself did not create any additional noise when compared to the four bladed one I had. The aluminum radiator in combination with the six bladed fan has mad the engine (312) run cooler… Although still on the hot side. From what I’ve heard, all 55/57 Thunderbirds run on the hot side.

Thanks
i have had 2 57s that i installed the steel 6 blade fans on with no problem and they are quiet. the flex fans are very noisy

i have had 2 57s that i installed the steel 6 blade fans on with no problem and they are quiet. the flex fans are very noisy
Did the 6 blade fan help cooling? Did you use a spacer?
Thanks

Thanks
No reason for a six-bladed fan to be noisy unless you don't tighten it down. Yes a six bladed fan will pull more air through the radiator although it only makes a difference when stopped or at slow speeds. the fan needs to be spaced such that the center plate of the fan is paralell to the edge of the shroud for best efficiency.. I cannot tell you about the the pulley or an aftermarket spacer with modified volute.

The 6 bladed fan you guys are using, is it a direct bolt on like the original or a clutch fan ?
Thanks, Tom

Mine came with the car when I bought it, but I believe its a standard bolt in. See pics attached.
IMG20200604121157.jpgIMG20200604121204.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The water pump for the Thunderbird was the same as used on passenger cars and trucks. The timing cover for both the passenger car and the Thunderbird were similar in design and both were built to accommodate the water pump. The cavity for the water pump impeller was approximately 5/8” deep. The water pump impeller was approximately 1/2” thick. This combination worked fine in the passenger cars and trucks. When the same engine was used in a Thunderbird it was necessary to install a 1&1/8” spacer between the water pump and mount cavity to accommodate belt alignments. When this spacer was installed the water pump impeller did not fill the extra cavity created by the water pump spacer. The results were a lesser volume of coolant being pumped through the engine.

Instead of installing a 6 bladed fan, I installed a water pump that is modified for higher output.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
100_6528.JPG100_6531.JPG100_6532.JPG

In conjunction with you desire to have a cooler running engine; Is your engine in proper tune? I have followed advice i got from Jimmy Scruggs from San Antonio some years ago. Our '57 runs at 190 to 195 unless going up a very long grade with the air conditioner on or in a parade where you are virtually at a standstill. Lat year driving from Sacramento California to Flagstaff Arizona and return via Southern California at 70 to 75 mph our Bird ran at the above 195. I always suggest that you go through all your existing possibilities before making changes and to only make one change at a time. For example a freind and fellow club member always complained that his '57 was overheating. Part of his problem was not getting adequate advance from his Mallory distributor. this is just one instance of issues contributing to overheating.

No reason for a six-bladed fan to be noisy unless you don't tighten it down. Yes a six bladed fan will pull more air through the radiator although it only makes a difference when stopped or at slow speeds. the fan needs to be spaced such that the center plate of the fan is paralell to the edge of the shroud for best efficiency.. I cannot tell you about the the pulley or an aftermarket spacer with modified volute.
i was not talking about a regular steel 6 blade fan. the flex fans blades flex at speed make a fair amount of noise.

The 6 bladed fan you guys are using, is it a direct bolt on like the original or a clutch fan ?
Thanks, Tom
direct bolt on. i think i may have one out in the garage

Have you installed this spacer?

The spacer fit no problem and the finish is as original. I have not run my rebuild, hoping to report this summer.
13268_0aa9216eac216e340c786c4b4caf4645_1(2).jpg13268_0aa9216eac216e340c786c4b4caf4645_2(2).jpg

Have you installed this spacer?
I’v been running this spacer for the last 3 years, noticeable difference when engine is idling.
I am also running the dual high output water pump, reduced pulley, plugged the bypass and an aluminum radiator only problem now is it tends to run somewhat cooler than it should.
The aluminum radiator made the biggest difference but the spacer provides flow at idle which is the crux of the problem.

I can't help with the water pump pulley, but I do run a 6 bladed fan and I don't find it noisy. The biggest improvement to cooling I made was having a bigger core put in the radiator. Mine looked in good condition, but when it was inspected it was found that only a third of it was working. Since I had it re-cored I never have to switch on my electric back up fan (which was also a great help when in a traffic queue). If your radiator is old and stock it would benefit your cooling having it upgraded.

Where did you get the longer fan spacer for the 6 blade fan? The stock 1.18" fan spacer is too short and 6 blade fan hits the crank pulley.
1955 bird
thanks

Where did you get the longer fan spacer for the 6 blade fan? The stock 1.18" fan spacer is too short and 6 blade fan hits the crank pulley.
Chock one up for stupidity! It helps to install the fan on the right way!!! D'OH!!! LOL!

Back