1955 3-speed pops out of second gear

Marvarden79

Marvarden79

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
My Thunderbird tries it's best to pop out of second gear into first, which is not good for first gear due to the grinding noise it makes. How does one go about fixing this and is this something you can do without sending it off to a transmission shop?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

My Thunderbird tries it's best to pop out of second gear into first, which is not good for first gear due to the grinding noise it makes. How does one go about fixing this and is this something you can do without sending it off to a transmission shop?

just joined . Do I need to be a member to start my own thread?

;the second gear syncronizer is worn, causing the problem you desribed. time for a rebuild. where are you located? Good luck, Henry

;the second gear syncronizer is worn, causing the problem you desribed. time for a rebuild. where are you located? Good luck, Henry

The transmission was used for drag racing and was driven hard for years so I should've assumed, thanks for the help!

Not really a tough fix. Just a lot of labor involved. Make sure you have a service manual that works you through the internals of the transmission.

if i remember right, you will need a shortened counter shaft . You take an old countershaft, and cut it just short enough that it will fit flush with the ends of the cluster gear. the shortened shaft holds the needle bearings n place so you can put the cluster gear into the case, then slide the regulaer shaft into the cluster gear and the needle bearing does not fall out. some times you can use a heavy wheel bearing grease to hold the needles in place also. have fun!

it's possible the problem could also be worn shifter linkage bushings or out or adjustment.

Back