04 lifter rattle when starting.

O
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Recently purchased an '04 Thunderbird with 30,000 miles. Hadn't been driven in 3 or 4 years. Replaced plugs and coils had a full service. Car runs and drives great but when I first start it after setting for a day or 2 or 3 it sounds like the lifters are going through the engine. Lasts about 3 or 4 seconds then quites down and doesn't do it again when starting until it sets at least overnight. Is this normal?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Many will not agree, but go to your Ford dealer and get the best service for your buck. They have the best knowledge and error code info to tell you what's up. Yea extra money, but well spent for your baby- your new T-Bird!

Thanks Johnvins, Ford mechanic thinks it may be normal. Thats why I ask if any others have this too. He says "It runs so good just drive it until something happens"

Here's my 2cents. I would change the oil and go with a lighter oil like 5w20 and add the lucas oil additive. This should cure your problem. I use the lucas additive on all my cars and its well worth the money. You wont have dry startups. The first time i used this was on my wifes car and she asked me what i did to her car because it was so quiet and smooth running. I said i used lucas oil additive and she was happy. I now have been using over the past 5 years in all my vehicles. Be sure that when you add synthetic oil you also use the lucas synthetic additive. I am pretty sure this will cure your problem. Keep me informed. Phil

I have a 2002 tbird and she purrs so quiet and purrfect. I am excited to hear if this fixes your problem. Come to think of it back in the 80s i had a vw van. It made the same noise you described and i went to a lighter oil and she quit making that noise like a stuck lifter. The lucas treatment coats the walls of all metal parts so you will have lubrication before you start. As you know most of your engine wear and tear is done during start up. I just traded of my 2000 ford expedition of which i used lucas oul treatment. I put 368,000 miles on it. I knew every nut and bolt in that truck. I traded in so my wife could get her new explorer. I felt terrible for about a month. Absolutely fabulous truck. I used to hate ford products but after that great track record with my expedition i have never looked back. I also have a 1966 pontiac gto. Its a 4 speed tripower and a head turner. I also use lucas oil treatment in her. Shes a head turner and has earned many trophies. Keep me informed. Phil

Hi, Thanks for the advice. I just went looking for Lucas oil additive and all I can find is Lucas Oil Stabilizer. One clerk recommended STP. Whats your recommendation Phil and Johnvins ?
Dan

Next time you change oil go with full synthetic oil and see if that helps. Ditto what the others say about the Lucas Oil treatment.

Spec is Synthetic 5W20 to begin with. ALWAYS USE THAT.

Back