03 Woes

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Just checking to see if anyone has had anything similar to following: been having coolant leak issues, had mechanic shop pressure test w/dye, said the return throttle body hose was leaking (of course @ end that is somewhere inside intake manifold. Paid $564 for job, when mechanic doing necessary bleeding process, car would not re-crank with some U codes about anti-theft and also unrecognizable VIN#. Told by mechanic had to take to Ford dealership for further diagnostics (?). Had to have yet another tow of car to dealership; then told by Ford it is the PCM (probably) and would have to be replaced for $900 total. After replacement, then Ford could continue check to see if anything else? Of course, prior to having the coolant leak work, the car has always started and would run, just leaked badly. Finally, last year had to have tranny rebuild and PCM went out, tranny shop put in remanufactured unit and had to get Ford to reprogram. I'm at point now of "I don't know what to believe", just spend more money.

I recently had similar issues with my '03, it started last year with hard shifting in 2nd and 3rd. Put the car away for the winter and then in the Spring brought it to a transmission shop. They said the transmission needed to be rebuilt and the PCM needed to be replaced. $3500.00 later it was running fine for about a week and started throwing random codes and I brought it in to my mechanic and he said the PCM is faulty . Luckily the transmission shop sent the PCM for rebuild and it had an unlimited warranty. We sent it back and they had trouble repairing it and had to do a total rebuild on it. 6 weeks later and $500.00 labor charges to install it the car is running fantastic for the last 4 weeks. Looking back I have had many times clearing random codes and all along the PCM may have been faulty. Never ran better since PCM was rebuilt.

I recently had similar issues with my '03, it started last year with hard shifting in 2nd and 3rd. Put the car away for the winter and then in the Spring brought it to a transmission shop. They said the transmission needed to be rebuilt and the PCM needed to be replaced. $3500.00 later it was running fine for about a week and started throwing random codes and I brought it in to my mechanic and he said the PCM is faulty . Luckily the transmission shop sent the PCM for rebuild and it had an unlimited warranty. We sent it back and they had trouble repairing it and had to do a total rebuild on it. 6 weeks later and $500.00 labor charges to install it the car is running fantastic for the last 4 weeks. Looking back I have had many times clearing random codes and all along the PCM may have been faulty. Never ran better since PCM was rebuilt.
I had PCM failure 2 years ago and could not find a new one from Ford or anyone to repair. Finally found a used one which did work. For future reference who have you found to repair/rebuild failed PCM

The name of the Place that rebuilt the PCM is:

BBA Remanufacturing Inc
300 Myles Standish Blvd
Taunton, MA 02780

Toll Free: 1 844-875-2554
Local: 1 (866) 573-2740
Fax: 1 (508) 822-4491
email: US-Sales@BBA-reman.com

This is Jody. I have a 2003 whisper white. How many miles does your car have? The same like big ticket items.

03Tbird, yeah having issues with leaking too. Been having em for over 2 years now. I've replaced the upper and lower radiator hose, thermostat housing, and yet is was still leaking coolant. Not much, 16oz every week or so. Never could find leak so I put a can of "stop leak" in it, then the engine started running hot and the electric fans came on all the time.

Decided "stop leak" must of stopped up something it wasn't suppose to so I decided to flush system. Now I got big time leaks. It is coming from top of engine - below the mass air flow, and left of air cleaner. I'm guessing I'll need to replace more plastic parts. Didn't even know throttle body had a heater hose that went to it. I guess some day I'll have to remove those parts and see what is leaking. It's been 40 years since I worked on cars. I don't even know the name of some of these parts and what the heck they do.

So far the only problem I haven't had on my 03 is transmission. If I get this leaking problem fixed - I think I'm going to get rid of the car. I've had enough.

Jody with 03 whisper white with very low mile and currently no issues - My question is how many miles does your car have so that I will know when to start anticipating these big ticket repairs and issues....thanks

Jody with 03 whisper white with very low mile and currently no issues - My question is how many miles does your car have so that I will know when to start anticipating these big ticket repairs and issues....thanks

Jody, I've had issues with my car from day 1, when I got it 6 years ago with 60,000 miles. I've talked to other Tbird owners and they have had few issues. I guess I just got a lemon. Good luck with your Bird.

My 03 has 110,000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back