03 TBird Paint

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
My 03 TBird is red, is there somewhere I can find the actual designation for touchup paint. I looked in owner manual but cannot find anything. Is there a site I can go to discover it?

I think it's called Torch Red, but not exactly sure. Mine is the same color. Finding the touch up paint could be a real challenge.

I think it's called Torch Red, but not exactly sure. Mine is the same color. Finding the touch up paint could be a real challenge.
thx, I will check, I believe you're right, think I heard that description before, couldn't remember it

a paint shop will consult the vin and make it for you.it is code D3.
Also called Colorado red.

Get the paint code from the driver's side door and then go to a Sherwin-Williams Automotive Supply store. They can mix 12 ounce cans for about $40---it's high quality and not acrylic. They have a card system to match colors exactly as they are now. Your paint may have faded over the years, so getting touch-up without the card match might be a little off.
http://www.sherwin-automotive.com/refinish/stores-where-to-buy/store-locator

on the vehicle certification label you should see a two digit code for the color. On the 02, it is the first two digits on the second line below the bar code. I do not have the codes for 03, but I am sure the red is the same code. The touch up paint is easy to find on eBay.

The paint code for the red is D3

check out this page for more 03 info

www.fordthunderbirdforum.com *******/thenewtbird/2003/2003.htm

The link wont post properly

Last edited:
If you just need it for touch-up I got a touch-up pen from my Ford dealership - $20. One end is a fine brush and the other end is a pen-like tip for chip repair. It is as noted code D3/Colorado Red.

I believe the Torch Red name was/is used by GM. It was the red utilized on a 2006 Corvette LT3 we had and possibly to current models.

Same name and number on my bottle of touchup for my 04 bird

Be very careful about purchasing on line. I purchased a can that was the correct code number and was guaranteed to match my car. When I did all the prep work and painted the spot on my rear bumper, it wasn't even close. When I called to tell the company it wasn't a match they asked if I had used the paint. "Of course I used it, that's how I know it doesn't match." Well if you used it, we can't refund your money....... Go to your Ford dealer or someone local to make the purchase. It will save you in the long run.

Color matching is a difficult thing. I purchased an October built 2002 Red Bird. It did not have a hardtop, which I wanted. I found another top from a 2003 bird. Both should be the same color, but under certain lighting conditions, they are very different. I have used the same touchup pen on both with great results over all, but the top looks a little more orange than the rest. Maybe my years of color printing give me a different view, but I see a slight difference

Same paint on metal will look slightly different on Fiberglas, also be sure to have same color primer under the paint.

You can buy touch up paint at any ford Dealer. I just bought some Evening Black at one here in Texas . It was about $19 for a small tube size (About the size of a Big Permanent Marker)

Back