03 TBird Issues

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Just got car back from ford dealership; had issue originally with coolant leak; throttle body return hose replaced for $565, then car not start, had to take to dealership, told PCM bad. Replaced, total $908. Told when picked up had coil/plug misfire (would be around $250 for one replacement); bringing car home noticed temp gauge crept up to 3/4 mark. At home, can see no leaking underneath.

Does anyone know if coil/plug misfiring can cause temp to rise. I will replace all cops myself, but not sure if that is temp rise cause.

Pls. help!

Just got car back from ford dealership; had issue originally with coolant leak; throttle body return hose replaced for $565, then car not start, had to take to dealership, told PCM bad. Replaced, total $908. Told when picked up had coil/plug misfire (would be around $250 for one replacement); bringing car home noticed temp gauge crept up to 3/4 mark. At home, can see no leaking underneath.

Does anyone know if coil/plug misfiring can cause temp to rise. I will replace all cops myself, but not sure if that is temp rise cause.

Pls. help!
I have had coil problems, had them replaced, Solved misfire issues but never experienced temperature problems.

I understand that you need to "burp" the cooling system which is why your gage may be at 3/4's.. I had my coolant replaced last year at a ford dealer and he said it's a certain procedure you need to do to burp the system.. I know they only replaced a hose but how much of the coolant was drained and replaced? So maybe you have an air lock / bubble in the system.. I think I have also read this on this forum..

Pls. help!
Simple ....bleed air our of your system. Takes about a minute and then you are good to go. The mechanic should have known this. He needs retrained or decertified. Phil

Pls. help!

Dealer work is under warrenty (usually) take the heating problem back to the dealer he should fix it free this time.
If not, ask to talk to the Ford Rep for your area.

Pls. help!
Have had 7 coils replaced.... never had a temp issue at any time. Also have had the thermostat housings replaced without any temp issue.

Pls. help!
The system can hold air for awhile after some coolant has been drained, mine did. I just filled it up and it was okay. Or take it to Ford and have them fill it.

hello forum,
the PCM of my Tbird is out of order, I will buy a new one. But my FORD garage in France ask me the asbuilt code because this car is not homologated in our country. The Ford garage needs the asbuilt codes in order to programm the new PCM. Do you know how I can get those asbuilt codes (not available in France )?
Thank you advance dear forum.
Jean-Luc

Just had a coil replaced, but never had I had an issue with temp.
And I live in Arizona where you can easily hit 115-120 outside while in slooooow moving traffic.

Pls. help!
What motor do you have in your Bird, is it Ford 5.0 or Jaugar 3.9

What motor do you have in your Bird, is it Ford 5.0 or Jaugar 3.9
All 2002-2005 Thunderbirds are equipped from the factory with a 3.9 liter V-8. "The 3.9 L (3,934 cc) AJ30/AJ35 variant is a unique displacement used only by Ford and Lincoln and is built in Ford's Lima, OH engine plant. Bore and stroke is 86 mm × 85 mm (3.39 in × 3.35 in). The AJ35 version introduced for the 2003 model year added variable valve timing of the intake camshafts and electronic throttle control. While the block, crankshaft, pistons, and connecting rods are all unique to this displacement, many other parts are shared with the AJ-V8 engines produced in the UK by Jaguar"

Back